MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 beta Feb-27-2019 available now

Show messages:  1-20  …  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-218

27 Sep 2019   [#201] In reply to [#200]
Hi Nis, I haven't seen that problem over here. What is your hardware?

One of the big differences after the rewrite is that MoI v4 now supports Retina screen resolutions, that means that on a retina screen MoI draws the viewport at 4 times the resolution of v3. If you're on a somewhat older machine maybe that's enough extra work to bog things down a bit.

Do you see any difference if you right click the v4 app and choose "Get Info" and then check the "Open in Low Resolution" checkbox?

Thanks, - Michael
27 Sep 2019   [#202]
Hi Michael,

I tried to enable "open in low resolution" in "get info" and it actually helped a bit -- though it didn't completely solve the problem.

I have two Macs and the problem occurs on both of them. One is an 27 inch iMac from 2014 and the other is a MacBook Pro from 2017. I've attached specs for both of them.

Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the problem (I've used wetransfer, so it should work for one week from now):

https://we.tl/t-x0f3VXXoik

Since you can't see my mouse, I'll explain what I am doing; I move the mouse to a random position, wait, press the middle button, and then start panning. As you can see in the video there is a delay (while the mouse moves) before MoI recognizes the mouse gesture.

I regularly use Blender, Substance Painter, Onshape, ZBrush and other 3D software, and I've never encountered this issue in either of those programs. Also panning/orbiting works fine in MoI V3. I've tried two different mouses (Magic Mouse and 3DConnexion Cad Mouse) -- it makes no difference.

An important thing that I just discovered is that orbiting works perfect when I press ALT and then use the left mouse button; hence it cannot be related to hardware issues. It only happens when I pan/orbit with the middle/right mouse button.

Best regards,

Nis

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 23.07.53.png  Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 23.28.57.png 

27 Sep 2019   [#203] In reply to [#202]
...Being a Mac programmer myself, I think it could be related to NSGestureRecognizer (if you use that). Sometimes in order to handle multiple types of gestures the user needs to move the mouse around quite a bit, before NSGestureRecognizer recognises what particular gesture he/she is doing. I don't know if this is the problem, but at least it is worth to look into.

Best regards,

Nis
27 Sep 2019   [#204] In reply to [#202]
Hi Nis, thanks for the video. So what's going on there is that MoI waits until you have moved the mouse a certain distance before it starts doing a drag operation. That's so a press and release "click" can be distinguished from a hold and drag.

I looked over the code involved and I do see a bug though where on a Retina display it's incorrectly waiting for double the distance to be traveled compared to V3. So on V4 (on Retina) you need to move the mouse 30 "window coordinate" pixels for the pan or orbit to start while on V3 it was only 15 pixels. I'll fix that for the next beta release.

When "open in low resolution" is enabled though you should be seeing the same behavior between v3 and v4, if you do the same test in V3 and move the mouse very slowly like that you should see the same thing happening, that's intended behavior.

Thanks,
- Michael
27 Sep 2019   [#205] In reply to [#203]
Hi Nis, it looks like there are a couple of other similar kind of subtle unintended mouse behavior bugs in v4 on Retina like when you're panning the border region size for how close you need to be to the outer viewport border for "auto pan" to engage is also incorrectly doubled.

I'll get those tuned up too, thanks for reporting the bug!

- Michael
30 Sep 2019   [#206]
Hello Michael!

How are you? I hope fine :)

When V4 will be officially released?

Thanks.
30 Sep 2019   [#207] In reply to [#206]
Hi Marco, it will be released once the last area of work on it is complete. There will be a new beta within the next week though since the current beta expires middle of next month.

I'm almost done with the detailed object properties dialog, just a couple more annotation properties left to do. Here's what it looks like at the moment:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
detailed_object_props_093019.png 

30 Sep 2019   [#208] In reply to [#207]
Very good Properties Panel.

I wait next beta!
3 Oct 2019   [#209] In reply to [#207]
Thats excellent! Excited for v4 release as well.
6 Oct 2019   [#210]
Just about there. I've got the annotation properties set up on the detailed object properties dialog:

Last thing is to implement the commands for drawing annotations. Got the icons set up:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
AnnotationProperties.png  DimIcons.png 

6 Oct 2019   [#211] In reply to [#210]
I see Distance display "Feet & Inch" ...I suppose there is also decimal system ?
6 Oct 2019   [#212] In reply to [#211]
Hi Pilou, yes you can choose between either "Distance display: Decimal", or "Distance display: Feet & Inches" there.

- Michael
6 Oct 2019   [#213] In reply to [#210]
The main missing thing will exporting dimensions to DXF and PDF/AI formats won't be ready for this next coming v4 beta, so there will need to be one more after that still.

- Michael
8 Oct 2019   [#214]
Helo, I cant use FullScreen.JS via Shortcut - but this js file is in my harddrive on his right place

C:\Program Files\MoI 4.0 beta Feb-26-2019\commands

Errormessage is

ReferenceError cant find variable FullScreen ...

I dont understand it.
8 Oct 2019   [#215] In reply to [#214]
Hi Lordfox, what do you have in your keyboard shortcut?

- Michael
10 Oct 2019   [#216]
Hi Mike, I was wondering when do you plane to release the next V4 BETA? Looking forward to it!
10 Oct 2019   [#217] In reply to [#216]
Hi Ogar, just a few hours away!

- Michael
10 Oct 2019   [#218] In reply to [#216]
Ok the new beta is up there at http://moi3d.com/beta.htm !

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  …  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-218