MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 beta Feb-27-2019 available now

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  …  200-218

28 Feb 2019   [#20]
Thanks Michael, it will be very cool to be able to import subivision surfaces.
A new set of possibilities!

Marc
28 Feb 2019   [#21] In reply to [#11]
Hi danperk, so for your shark example there I wanted to mention the modes "Patch type: Fewer patches, more control points" and the new "Patch type: More patches, fewer control points" will have the exact same shape. The difference is in how patches get glued together.

The first mode which is the default combines things by radiating out from extraordinary vertices, generally making longer strips following edge flows. The patches immediately around an extraordinary vertex will be degree 6 and the neighboring ones that will get glued get degree elevated from degree 3 to degree 6, so that's what makes them have more control points. Although there are quite a lot of control points it's not really something to worry about very much since it is not likely that you will be doing control point editing of them directly and they are evenly dispersed.

The new "Patch type: More patches, fewer control points" will keep the degree 6 patches immediately around an extraordinary vertex to be separate and glue together the regular areas of the mesh which then get to stay degree 3 and thus have fewer control points. But it will have a lot more small surfaces around extraordinary vertices and so have more little edges and the overall structure won't quite follow edge flows as much.

One method is not really automatically better than the other in all cases but with the new setting you can choose between these tradeoffs if you want.

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#22]
What happens with STYLE in this beta?

I have a object with different styles after some boolean operations. To make the object back to one style again in previous betas i clicked on style in the info menu -> i get some style options -> choose one and ready.

This doesent work in the new beta because there are no style options poping up......

Image Attachments:
Ohne Titel 2.png  Ohne Titel.png 

1 Mar 2019   [#23]
Hi Michael,

It's definitely not something I'm worried about, just wanted to show the point structure of the 2 options.

As Pilou says, Thanks for the precision! ;)
1 Mar 2019   [#24] In reply to [#22]
Hi Ralf, re: Style menu not working - that's a typo bug that came in when trying to add a Ctrl+left click to work same as right-click (as requested here http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9245.5). The bug is that also plain left click ended up doing the same as Ctrl+left click.

It can be fixed up updating the file SidePaneContextArea.htm in the UI sub-folder in the main install folder with the attached version below. Thanks for reporting the bug!

(EDIT: note - re-issued Feb-27-2019 beta has this fix included)

Also if you would prefer for booleans to make a single style result you can change a setting in moi.ini that will do that:

[Styles]
DisableSubObjectStyles=y

Thanks, - Michael

Attachments:
SidePaneContextArea.htm

1 Mar 2019   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Hello Michael.

@You: "It can be fixed up updating the file SidePaneContextArea.htm in the UI sub-folder in the main install folder with the attached version below. Thanks for reporting the bug!"

Please can you update also the first message of this new beta.
So in this way it's easy to get this fix without the need to remember that exists this bug and where to get the right file to fix it.

Thanks.
1 Mar 2019   [#26]
Hello,

Is it normal to have this when editing color style in the new beta version?

Image Attachments:
Edit Style MoI V4 Beta.jpg 

1 Mar 2019   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Hi Dan,

re:
> Is it normal to have this when editing color style in the new beta version?

It's a bug in the new version but you can fix it by updating the file attached above:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9266.24

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#28]
An observation:
Doing some Hopf tori, creating a bunch of circles with nodeeditor:
If the Hopf .nod program is stopped, but not applied, the circle curves CAN be mouse selected, but not selected by the Types:Curves, nor by Style:Color.
The mouse circle curves that are mouse selected, can be lofted, and the lofted surface can be selected by color or Types:Faces.
The circle curves remain not selectable, until Apply is done.
(It was the same in the prior beta...)

- Brian
1 Mar 2019   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Brian, so there is a way that objects can be set to be non selectable, they are usually used in commands that involve different stages of selection. Like in the Sweep command after you have selected profile curves, selection lock is set on them so that in the next step of selecting a rail the profiles won't be in the way for selection again.

These states are cleared when a command ends, but this might not be happening with the node editor since it runs outside the context of a command. So you may need to manually do some cleanup of these states in your case.

The mechanism for that is called selection lock and it can be cleared using the ObjectList method unlockSelection.

So for example to clear all selection lock on everything try moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().unlockSelection();

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#30] In reply to [#25]
Hi Marco,

> Please can you update also the first message of this new beta.
> So in this way it's easy to get this fix without the need to remember that exists this bug and
> where to get the right file to fix it.

I guess it would be best to roll out an updated beta that includes the fix. I'll update this to a Feb-27 version. The only change is this fixed UI file so if you've already updated that there isn't any need to get it again.

- Michael
2 Mar 2019   [#31] In reply to [#29]
Thanks Michael.

It is not a problem. It is not a bug.

- Brian
3 Mar 2019   [#32]
Hello dear Michael,

will you add a kind of Gizmo? I knew, its not like a other polygonbased 3D Tool - but mostly I miss a Gizmo for moving points in X/Y/Z directions, especially for moving/creating points (e.g. in Curves) - this would be a nice to have.
3 Mar 2019   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Hi Lordfox,

re:
> but mostly I miss a Gizmo for moving points in X/Y/Z directions, especially for
> moving/creating points (e.g. in Curves) - this would be a nice to have.

You can already move points or objects in X/Y/Z directions in MoI just by clicking and dragging on the point or object.

If you want to restrict it to only the X, Y, or Z axis then make sure "Straight Snap" is enabled on the bottom toolbar. Then when you move close to the X,Y,Z axis lines it will snap to the axis line. You can also hold down Shift to force it to snap to the nearest one without having to be close to it.

Here is an example showing moving a point in X, Y, or Z:

- Michael
4 Mar 2019   [#34]
Hi Michael,

Is having a drag adjustable browser width an option for V4 - handy in handling long object names.

thanks
Alex.
4 Mar 2019   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Hi Alex, it is still on my list to look at making the scene browser pane width draggable but I don't know yet if it will be in v4 for sure or not.

In the meantime, you can set up the following script on a shortcut key:

var p = moi.ui.getUIPanel( 'moi://ui/BrowserPane.htm' ); if ( p ) { var w = p.document.body.style.width; if ( w == '' || w == '15em' ) { w = '20em'; } else if ( w == '20em' ) { w = '30em' } else { w = '15em' } p.document.body.style.width = w; }

When you trigger that it will cycle through 3 different widths.

- Michael
4 Mar 2019   [#36]
Thanks that works well for the interim.
4 Mar 2019   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Hi Alex, one thing that I haven't been able to decide yet is if the drag sizing method should just be if you drag anywhere along the edge like such things usually are or if I should make a little "knob" like thing kind of like this:

The "anywhere along the edge" method will probably be a pretty narrow strip and could be a little harder to target and sort of wastes a lot of area with the same function all along it.

The knob method could probably be made easier to target and kind of concentrates the area that's used for this but adds a new visual element sitting there all the time...

Any thoughts?

- Michael

Image Attachments:
drag_knob.jpg 

4 Mar 2019   [#38]
Hi everyone!

I am not a UI expert, but my layman vote goes for the single border drag option instead of a knob. It's more intuitive and it's the first thing I would try. :)

I haven't been able to play with the new beta release yet unfortunately, but I am looking forward to it. Very excited to see MoI evolve.
4 Mar 2019   [#39]
Hi Michael, I think any where along that edge - there is the few pixels in between which could be darkened to give the visual clue of an interaction area.

Image Attachments:
border.JPG 

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  …  200-218