MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 beta Feb-27-2019 available now

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  …  211-218

27 Feb 2019   [#11]
Great Stuff Michael, Thanks!

Tried a quick test of patch combining on SubD Create and it worked well.

It's nice to get material assignments from OBJ file too.

Image Attachments:
HH2.jpg  HH3.jpg  HHShrk.jpg 

27 Feb 2019   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi danperk, thanks for testing the new materials-aware patch combining. That looks great!

That should hopefully be a pretty easy way to be able to influence patch formation.

- Michael
27 Feb 2019   [#13]
Thanks for the new beta Michael !
27 Feb 2019   [#14] In reply to [#13]
You're welcome PaQ!

- Michael
28 Feb 2019   [#15]
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the update. it's top !
28 Feb 2019   [#16] In reply to [#10]
Hello Michael.

@You: "...Can you please remind me what the "display mesh routines" part is about?..."

Well...something we where talking about many months ago.

I'm referring to some improvements to the way Moi is using to display/render the nurbs surfaces.
Actually, despite any kind of tweaking I can try with the control panel of my GPU (Nvidia Quadro and Nvidia 1080 Ti), the antialiasing is never applied to the boundaries of the surfaces but only to the nurbs curves.

Also there's still the old problem of the "unwanted fake edges" or "edges glitches" that moi sometimes draw for certain area of the objects.

Here in these 3 screenshots you con see what I'm talking about :)

The "read area" show you the missing antialiasing in the rendering of the surfaces and, in the last pictures, the "edges glitches".

Thanks.

28 Feb 2019   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Marco, you can find some more information on the "edges glitches" part here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4987.2

Although that is something that I want to try and improve in the future I do not expect to be able to work on it for V4, sorry.

Antialiasing for shaded surfaces is still on my list to investigate and may be feasible to add for v4, I will know more when I give it a try. It is still on my remaining investigation list.

- Michael
28 Feb 2019   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Micheal.

About surfaces antialiasing you wrote :" It is still on my remaining investigation list."

Ok. Good to know :)

Please don't erase it from your list :)

Thanks.
28 Feb 2019   [#19]
Hooray Michael !!! Again.
cheers
eric
28 Feb 2019   [#20]
Thanks Michael, it will be very cool to be able to import subivision surfaces.
A new set of possibilities!

Marc
28 Feb 2019   [#21] In reply to [#11]
Hi danperk, so for your shark example there I wanted to mention the modes "Patch type: Fewer patches, more control points" and the new "Patch type: More patches, fewer control points" will have the exact same shape. The difference is in how patches get glued together.

The first mode which is the default combines things by radiating out from extraordinary vertices, generally making longer strips following edge flows. The patches immediately around an extraordinary vertex will be degree 6 and the neighboring ones that will get glued get degree elevated from degree 3 to degree 6, so that's what makes them have more control points. Although there are quite a lot of control points it's not really something to worry about very much since it is not likely that you will be doing control point editing of them directly and they are evenly dispersed.

The new "Patch type: More patches, fewer control points" will keep the degree 6 patches immediately around an extraordinary vertex to be separate and glue together the regular areas of the mesh which then get to stay degree 3 and thus have fewer control points. But it will have a lot more small surfaces around extraordinary vertices and so have more little edges and the overall structure won't quite follow edge flows as much.

One method is not really automatically better than the other in all cases but with the new setting you can choose between these tradeoffs if you want.

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#22]
What happens with STYLE in this beta?

I have a object with different styles after some boolean operations. To make the object back to one style again in previous betas i clicked on style in the info menu -> i get some style options -> choose one and ready.

This doesent work in the new beta because there are no style options poping up......

Image Attachments:
Ohne Titel 2.png  Ohne Titel.png 

1 Mar 2019   [#23]
Hi Michael,

It's definitely not something I'm worried about, just wanted to show the point structure of the 2 options.

As Pilou says, Thanks for the precision! ;)
1 Mar 2019   [#24] In reply to [#22]
Hi Ralf, re: Style menu not working - that's a typo bug that came in when trying to add a Ctrl+left click to work same as right-click (as requested here http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9245.5). The bug is that also plain left click ended up doing the same as Ctrl+left click.

It can be fixed up updating the file SidePaneContextArea.htm in the UI sub-folder in the main install folder with the attached version below. Thanks for reporting the bug!

(EDIT: note - re-issued Feb-27-2019 beta has this fix included)

Also if you would prefer for booleans to make a single style result you can change a setting in moi.ini that will do that:

[Styles]
DisableSubObjectStyles=y

Thanks, - Michael

Attachments:
SidePaneContextArea.htm

1 Mar 2019   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Hello Michael.

@You: "It can be fixed up updating the file SidePaneContextArea.htm in the UI sub-folder in the main install folder with the attached version below. Thanks for reporting the bug!"

Please can you update also the first message of this new beta.
So in this way it's easy to get this fix without the need to remember that exists this bug and where to get the right file to fix it.

Thanks.
1 Mar 2019   [#26]
Hello,

Is it normal to have this when editing color style in the new beta version?

Image Attachments:
Edit Style MoI V4 Beta.jpg 

1 Mar 2019   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Hi Dan,

re:
> Is it normal to have this when editing color style in the new beta version?

It's a bug in the new version but you can fix it by updating the file attached above:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9266.24

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#28]
An observation:
Doing some Hopf tori, creating a bunch of circles with nodeeditor:
If the Hopf .nod program is stopped, but not applied, the circle curves CAN be mouse selected, but not selected by the Types:Curves, nor by Style:Color.
The mouse circle curves that are mouse selected, can be lofted, and the lofted surface can be selected by color or Types:Faces.
The circle curves remain not selectable, until Apply is done.
(It was the same in the prior beta...)

- Brian
1 Mar 2019   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Brian, so there is a way that objects can be set to be non selectable, they are usually used in commands that involve different stages of selection. Like in the Sweep command after you have selected profile curves, selection lock is set on them so that in the next step of selecting a rail the profiles won't be in the way for selection again.

These states are cleared when a command ends, but this might not be happening with the node editor since it runs outside the context of a command. So you may need to manually do some cleanup of these states in your case.

The mechanism for that is called selection lock and it can be cleared using the ObjectList method unlockSelection.

So for example to clear all selection lock on everything try moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().unlockSelection();

- Michael
1 Mar 2019   [#30] In reply to [#25]
Hi Marco,

> Please can you update also the first message of this new beta.
> So in this way it's easy to get this fix without the need to remember that exists this bug and
> where to get the right file to fix it.

I guess it would be best to roll out an updated beta that includes the fix. I'll update this to a Feb-27 version. The only change is this fixed UI file so if you've already updated that there isn't any need to get it again.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  …  211-218