MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Blend Command V4

21 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hi
I have an issue with using the Blend command
I am trying to create a hand rail for a interior project and the blend command doesn't work.
I attached a test file to see if you can figure out the issue.
Best,
FED

Attachments:
Blend Test.3dm

21 Jan 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi FED,
Hide or delete the two circle curves hiding the edges, and the planar disks. This permits the two EDGES of the two cylinders to be selected.
- Brian
21 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi FED, yes like Brian writes above you have curve objects that are getting in the way. Just to elaborate a bit - curves have a higher selection priority than edges, and in this case you will need to select the edges to make a blend surface. So you'll need to hide or delete those circle curves which are overlapping right on top of the edges.

But also additionally to control how the Blend will be created you will need to delete the planar end caps of the cylinder. Currently the edges are joined between 2 surfaces, the planar end and the cylinder body. It will be unpredictable which of these surfaces will be used as the target to be smooth to.

When you do a blend you need to prepare the objects to have what are called "naked edges" for where you want to blend between, that means that the edge belongs to only one surface instead of being joined between 2 surfaces. The main way to do that for your case here would be to delete the end caps.

- Michael
21 Jan 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Michael-
I am sorry for asking another question, but I cannot seem to get the blend command to work on two cylinders at 90 degrees corners.
I tried the suggestions, but could you look? I have attached the file.
Again, I am new to modeling but truly enjoy MOI. MOI has really helped me to see design in a new way and learn about computer modeling. Truly lots of fun learning new techniques!!
best,
FED

Attachments:
Blend Test.3dm

21 Jan 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi FED, do you mean this one here? :

To make that blend you'll need to delete the original circle curves, delete the end caps, then select the 2 edges and run the Construct > Blend command, here is an example video of the entire sequence:

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Image Attachments:
FED_blend1.jpg 

21 Jan 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Michael-
Thank you for your patience and help!!!!
Best,
FED
21 Jan 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
You're welcome FED!

- Michael