MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Merging non-touching objects

16 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hi, I started modelling this little tank thingy today and made the treads with a curve array which generated a lot of objects in the obj. My question: is it possible to merge objects like the black rubber parts of the treads into one object in MoI even though they are not touching? Or do I need to do this in a program like Blender?

Thanks,
Sven

Image Attachments:
tank.jpg 

16 Jan 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Sven, objects that are not touching are always considered separate objects in MoI, but all of them can have the same object name or style assignment.

When you export to a rendering program like Blender, objects that are assigned the same name will export to a single mesh, unless you have disabled the option under Options > Import/Export > "Combine same named objects".

Style assignments in MoI become material assignments when exporting to .obj format, so if they are all assigned to the same style they should be all assigned to the same material in Blender.

So depending on what you want you could assign either an object name or a style to those objects you want to behave as one.

- Michael
17 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

that's good news!

Thanks again,
Sven