MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: RECORDING//SAVING SESSION PREFERENCES in the ini_file or a ghost startup_file

10 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hi Michael, and the community

what do you guys think about RECORDING SESSION PREFERENCES FOR RESTART "OPTIONS TO SET DEFAULT AND OPTIONS TO RECORD SESSION LAST USED PREFS" MAYBE it get recorded in a START_UP_FILE

i love my MOI but have a little issue with having to check boxes and fill in inputs that i know moi is recording per session ie.....

i like to set my draw Rectcenter to have round corners i have to tick the box once in a session but loose my pref on restart new session.

i know moi can remember last used fillet and chamfer sizes.

I use rebuild curve ALOT! helps eliminate corner points from polyline sketching outlines. that result in fillet and loft issues if corner points remain MY default is 2 not 0.01 :)

my list goes on .....is it possible save my pref? if so I think simple things like this really add to user workflow.

Best regards Neil I love MOI!

i know not a big deal but they add up
10 Jan 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Neil, recording and persisting every single command option like that can also have some bad negative side effects.

What can easily happen is someone uses an option for one particular special case situation and then gets surprised when in the next session that tool behaves differently than it has always done previously. This kind of mutation of workflow can be problematic. It's especially bad for inexperienced users who are trying to follow a tutorial but are not seeing the same behavior that is shown in the tutorial because they have previously happened to experiment with some command options.

But on the other hand it is also not great to have to set options over and over again as well.

MoI is designed to have a compromise between these - command options are remembered inside the same modeling session but not between sessions. So the problem that you are describing is the intended and designed behavior.

There are a couple of ways you can modify things to behave like you want though, although you will only be saving a very small amount of time since like you wrote it's only on the very first use in an entire program session that you have to check "Rounded" for example.

One method that is new in v4 is that commands can take parameters to activate particular options, so for example if you set up a keyboard shortcut with:
RectCenter rounded=true
then when you trigger that keyboard shortcut it will will be the equivalent of running the rect from center command and setting the rounded checkbox.

It's also possible to modify defaults, for RectCenter you would do that by editing the RectCenter.htm file that you can find in the commands sub-folder and modify line 49 which currently has this:
code:
<moi:CheckButton id="rounded" default="false"><moi:Text textid="Rounded corners checkbox"/></moi:CheckButton>

Change the default="false" to default="true" and that should change how it initially starts.

- Michael
11 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
thanks for that:) i have tweaked a few .htm files and that works well.

RectCenter rounded=true works great as well i guess a can experiment to try and find some others.

regards Neil