MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Saying hello

8 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hi,

I'm new to the community and just wanted to say hello and thanks for this beautiful program. I literally went from wtf is MoI 3D to telling everyone about it in one week. I'll be using it mainly for high-poly concept art and I've never been faster :) Attached are a few scifi doodles I did in the last couple of days.

Best regards,
Sven

Image Attachments:
cables-02.jpg  droid-07-black.jpg  drone-wire.jpg  eai.jpg 

8 Jan 2019   [#2]
Welcome

and very convincing models!
8 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hello!

Very nice concepts!

Congrats.
8 Jan 2019   [#4]
Welcome! I am very new as well and I totally relate to your wtf--> wow transition. This program is so much power in a small package under a deceptively simple interface.

Beautiful stuff! What was your renderer of choice? And is that a MoI lines overlay in your third render? It looks super cool. \m/_
8 Jan 2019   [#5]
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome!

I'm at home in Keyshot, Octane and VRay, depending on the pipeline and if the clients wants just pretty pictures or render packages for further tweaking. For personal work like this I like Cycles and now Eevee. The third image was rendered in Eevee. I selected the edges in MoI and exported them as 3D polylines in a DXF file. Then imported the DXF in Blender (make sure to activate the DXF addon) and beveled the polylines. The shader on the polylines is Blender's Emission Shader. After that I just added generous amounts of Eevee's post effects (bloom!) and that's it more or less.
8 Jan 2019   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Sven, welcome to the forum and to MoI, I'm really glad you are liking it and getting some great results already!

- Michael
9 Jan 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Michael,

thank you. If there was a spectrum with say Houdini and ZBrush on the left then MoI would be on the far right side ;) The UI paradigm makes it ridiculously fast to work in. I have defined shortcuts for everything and couldn't be happier. Well, I would love to have a fullscreen "pro" mode without any toolbar. Don't know how difficult that would be to implement. One thing I noticed it that fillets and/or chamfers often fail on relatively simple geometry if the model is too small in scale. When I scale it up it works again. I would have expected these function to be independent of model scale.

Best,
Sven
9 Jan 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Sven, it is possible to hide the toolbars, try the plug-in here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#FullScreen

For the small scale problem - various operations in NURBS modeling are calculated to a tolerance level, like when 2 surfaces are intersected with each other the intersection is refined until it reaches a particular accuracy level and small objects can be impacted by this. I do have some changes in v4 coming to try and make small objects get the same proportional tolerance as "regular" objects and that may help with this area.

But it is kind of good in general to avoid working at small scales.

- Michael
9 Jan 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

thanks for the fast response and explanation, makes sense. I also tried the plug-in and it kinda works. It goes to fullscreen but returns to a two column layout that wastes a lot of space (see attached). Is it maybe because I'm running the Modo theme?

Thanks,
Sven

Image Attachments:
2019-01-09 10_21_44-MoI.jpg 

9 Jan 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Sven, looks like the plug-in isn't working quite right with the scene browser in "inside" mode like you're using there. The other column that is showing is where the non-inside scene browser panel would be.

Try the one from here instead:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5141.17

- Michael
9 Jan 2019   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Michael,

that did the trick. Thanks again!

Best,
Sven
9 Jan 2019   [#12]
Okay, last one (for now), just can't stop :)

Image Attachments:
pathogen-scanner.jpg