MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: alternative navigation options

Show messages: All  1-2  3-11

7 Jan 2019   [#3]
hey michael. thanks heaps for the speedy reply

i do most of my modelling in maya so that's for sure the navigation scheme i'd prefer

ALT+LMB = orbit
ALT+MMB = pan
ALT+RMB = zoom

these behave ( most significant in relation to zoom ) such that you can move the mouse in any direction up down left right ( not just constrained to a left or right. up or down )

if this was offered as an option. that would be a massive win ( not having to ' rethink ' the nav when jumping in and around other apps )

you mentioned being able to edit the moi.ini file though. do you think it would be possible to replicate the maya nav EXACTLY through there ? more than happy to go down that path if it's an option ( ? )
8 Jan 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi meanGoreng,

re:
> i do most of my modelling in maya so that's for sure the navigation scheme i'd prefer
>
> ALT+LMB = orbit
> ALT+MMB = pan
> ALT+RMB = zoom

So yes, all of these are already active in MoI by default.

re:
> these behave ( most significant in relation to zoom ) such that you can move the mouse in any
> direction up down left right ( not just constrained to a left or right. up or down )

Sorry there isn't any way to set this part up for zoom, you will need to pick either left/right or up/down. In MoI v4 there is a setting in moi.ini for choosing which one though. To adjust it go to Options > General > "Edit .ini file" button and inside there look for:

[View]
<....>
MouseZoomLeftRight=n

If you switch that to =y then Alt+RMB will zoom with a left/right motion instead of up/down.

- Michael
8 Jan 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
i'll say again. thanks so much. really great support

will have to wait until the v4 trial becomes available then ( to change that setting ). but it might well get me close enough to navigation parity between the apps

maybe in a future release we could get both the up / down as well as the left / right behaviour ? in any case. really looking forward to playing with v4. you've done such an awesome job with this app

one other request though. the ability to have the center of rotation focused on the mouse position when mouse position is above any object in the scene. possible ?
8 Jan 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi meanGoreng,

re:
> maybe in a future release we could get both the up / down as well as the left / right behaviour ? in any case.
> really looking forward to playing with v4. you've done such an awesome job with this app

It could be possible in the future but it seems a little strange, do you mean you sometimes use left/right and sometimes use up/down to do the same navigation action?

Is there another app other than Maya that behaves in that way?

> one other request though. the ability to have the center of rotation focused on the mouse position when
> mouse position is above any object in the scene. possible ?

Sorry no there isn't any way to set this up, there is a fair amount of internal stuff that assumes that the center of rotation is located at the center of the viewport.

- Michael
8 Jan 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
yeah for sure. the zoom function in zbrush works the same way ( just to select one app. and maybe it's a good example since its entire nav system is quite different. but this concept remains the same )

to try and describe it in very loose terms :

once the zoom context has been entered. either moving the mouse position vertically or horizontally increases or decreases the zoom value ( put another way > positive and negative values being driven by either up/down OR left/right mouse position )
8 Jan 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi meanGoreng,

re:
> once the zoom context has been entered. either moving the mouse position vertically or
> horizontally increases or decreases the zoom value ( put another way > positive and negative
> values being driven by either up/down OR left/right mouse position )

The part that is a little tricky is that it's virtually impossible to move the mouse only fully up/down or left/right. So for example when you move the mouse up and down there will be a little bit of left and right happening as well. So I need to know how that should behave.

I just tried in Cinema4D and Blender and there the mouse zoom seems to only do stuff in one direction, in Blender it's up/down only and in C4D it's left/right only.

- Michael
8 Jan 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
sorry michael. i wouldn't pretend to understand the actual math as such. just describing the behaviour. if you're interested ( and don't have access to maya or zbrush to test for yourself ) i could make a small vid of each to put a visual to it ( ? )

that said though. likely taken up too much of your time already. can't wait to give v4 a go with this one small tweak
8 Jan 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi meanGoreng, yes thanks that would be helpful if you could make a video of it. I don't happen to have Maya or ZBrush over here right now so I was hoping you might know of other apps than those 2 that behave in the way you like.

- Michael
8 Jan 2019   [#11] In reply to [#10]
will try get this done over the next few days. cheers michael

Show messages: All  1-2  3-11