MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Image rescale and positioning?

6 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hey Guys,

Happy New Year.

Couple questions on using a Reference Image in Moi.

1. Is there a way to rescale and/or move a background reference image WITH selected curves at the same time? I can rescale my reference image under View > Image...but can't select curves along with it. Can't seem to add selections with Shift button, etc.

2. Scaling a Ref Image from all 4 corners at the same time, inward or outward? As in Adobe Illustrator or PS.

2. When I reopen the file in Rhino the reference image is gone. Or is it?

3. How can I place the Reference Image back at the 0,0,0 ZY or ZX plane...after moving if off the center X,Y,Z planes?

Thx!
6 Jan 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
BackGround Images are a separated world thing with curves, volumes etc... but it use the same projected Space Gride! ;)

So any Snaping objects between them is very easy!
6 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi mat,

> 1. Is there a way to rescale and/or move a background reference image WITH selected curves at
> the same time? I can rescale my reference image under View > Image...but can't select curves
> along with it. Can't seem to add selections with Shift button, etc.

Sorry no there currently isn't any way set up to do that, when you are in the View > Image command that is when images can be resized or moved and only images can be manipulated at that time, not other objects.

> 2. Scaling a Ref Image from all 4 corners at the same time, inward or
> outward? As in Adobe Illustrator or PS

If you click and release on one of the corner sizing grips the scaling mode will switch between "Scale from opposite corner" and "Scale from center". There is a marker that appears at the current scale origin when your mouse is over a corner grip.

So if you do one click on a corner grip it should then scale like you are describing after that.

> 2. When I reopen the file in Rhino the reference image is gone. Or is it?

It won't be recognized by Rhino - MoI treats background images in somewhat different ways than Rhino does and so it does not try to make background images in a Rhino compatible way.

> 3. How can I place the Reference Image back at the 0,0,0 ZY or ZX plane...after moving if off the center X,Y,Z planes?

In a side view where you're viewing the image edge-on if you grab near the end of an edge you should then be able to snap on to one of the world planes. If you grab it somewhere other than near the ends or midpoint it looks like you won't get snaps which seems like a bug.

- Michael
7 Jan 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks Michael.

Scaling reference image - never even noticed that "scale center" option edge click. Re-read the Moi manual on image scaling. "Align" also works very well, always forget to use that.

Grabbing the Image near the end of an edge works great...now the image will snap to center.

Thanks!