MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Working directory

5 Jan 2019   [#1]
Hi Michael,
So I have everything needed to run My MoI in the program files directory, to be setup for mobile usb operation.

My appdata, ini and license keys.

Running MoI normally, has lost the ability to write to my ini file. So the "recent files list" and using the "Working directory" settings don't work.

If I run as admin, it will work...

I understand about applications limitations, but pretty sure it used to function properly running it this way.

Was there a change with this with the new beta? Program files vs program files (x86) etc?
5 Jan 2019   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Burr, there haven't been any changes that I know of to that. It should be the same in V3 and in V4 - Windows will prevent MoI (and any other program running at normal privilege level) from writing to either the \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) directories. MoI is now installed by default to \Program Files since that's where 64-bit programs normally go to.

Is it possible your system settings for UAC have changed at some point? Probably if you enable or disable the UAC stuff in Windows it will affect this as well.

Maybe it would work well for you to put MoI into some other folder that isn't protected by Windows like that?

- Michael
5 Jan 2019   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael
I just lost my laptop to my wife and pretty much wiped it clean before parting with it. So I lost my alternate MoI.
I have another laptop arriving any day so I will want to install MoI on that one.
I can't remember where to find my license files on my desktop so I can copy them to the new system.
Please remind me.
thanks,
eric
5 Jan 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi eric, you're on Windows right?

From the Start menu type in %Appdata%\moi and push Enter and that should bring up the right spot, it will be something like C:\Users\eric\AppData\Roaming\Moi

Inside there will be license key files with a .key extension, like moi_v2_license.key, moi_v2_license.key, and also your moi.ini file. Copy all the .key files and the moi.ini file over into the same location on your new machine.

Hope that helps! - Michael
6 Jan 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Michael ...
Yes, just what I needed.
Thanks so much.
eric
6 Jan 2019   [#6] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the reply.

Well, my v3 works as expected, setup that way. Nothing has really changed on my system. The thing that prompted me to notice this was when i used open, it always defaulted to the root dir and not my last save point. Once i used a "run as admin" it now defaults to that last place. But i "always" work there so i wouldnt notice it not changing. Then i noticed the "recents" list wasnt updating with my saves.

But sometime in the past, i may have done some special permissions setting, like working to get Max's custom ui working with directory writing, and just dont remember..

I'll dig into some various permissions and see if i cN dig it up for myself...
6 Jan 2019   [#7]
Hi Michael,

i was wondering if it is possible to install MoI on an USB stick and write protect the stick?
Or does MoI needs internally write to some files, while working with it?

Best regards
Stefan
6 Jan 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Stefan,

re:
> i was wondering if it is possible to install MoI on an USB stick and write protect the stick?
> Or does MoI needs internally write to some files, while working with it?

The MoI v3 Mac version (the one based on Wineskin) needs to run from a writable volume since Wineskin does modify an internal file (info.plist) as part of how it runs.

But all other versions - v3 Windows and v4 for both Mac and Windows, do not need that and so can run from a read-only volume.

- Michael
6 Jan 2019   [#9]
Super Michael, thanks!

I need that for Win v3 and later then for Win v4.

Best regards
Stefan