MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Old question

29 Dec 2018   [#1]
Hi Michael ...
I see you may be offering Ver 4 fairly early in the New Year.
Will dimensions be included?
Happy New Year.
eric
29 Dec 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi eric, I am still hoping to put in an initial basic attempt at dimensions, it will probably be the last thing added to v4.

There will probably be 2 more beta releases before v4 is wrapped up.

- Michael
29 Dec 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael ...
That's good to hear. I got the impression that v4 might be wrapped up sooner.
I just completed a small project using MoI 4 exclusively and used the plug in for dimensions and built in text for notes.
It did work ... it will be easier next time, but it was slow and rather awkward.
The object was to create illustrative assembly drawings for a modest wood shed.
I'm really looking forward to a smoother, easier work flow.
Thanks again, though, for MoI. The basic 3d model flowed out flawlessly in just a couple of hours. A joy to work with.
cheers,
eric
30 Dec 2018   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

I'm looking forward to dimensioning in MoI without the need for a script but I wonder how text will be handled. Dimensioned drawings in MoI will most likely be exported and currently I have to fill the hole(s) in letters like A or B or numbers like 0 or 9 with white in an extra step.

I wonder how exporting will work with dimension text? Is there a way in MoI to export text curves so that they fill correctly?

-Martin

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 16.52.37.png 

30 Dec 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Martin, I should be able to make the dimension text work better but it's pretty uncertain if exporting the dimensions to other formats like AI/PDF will make it into v4. I would not be surprised if it will take a few rounds of work on it to get all the different pieces around it working and some things like that might not make it in until v5.

- Michael
31 Dec 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Michael, thankyou that is good to know. I would be happy if all letter holes would get their own style so they can be filled all at once in Affinity Designer for example. But I don't know if it is straightforward for you to detect text curves that are completely enclosed by another text curve.
-Martin
31 Dec 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Martin, there isn't really any way currently in MoI to identify text curves. But it should be possible once there is an actual annotation text entity supported. So that will be the first step. It will probably take a few steps in annotation functionality before this can be implemented, until then I would recommend adding your text inside Affinity Designer instead of in MoI.

- Michael
2 Jan 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
I assumed that the text generated by the Dimension tool will be curve text and therefore made a script that styles letterholes so they can be filled in one step after PDF or AI export. The script can be found here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9190.1

-Martin
2 Jan 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Martin, probably the text generated by the Dimension tool will be it's own new kind of object, it won't just be regular curves.

- Michael
2 Jan 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Thanks for the info Michael.

-Martin