MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Upgrade to Windows 10

23 Dec 2018   [#1]
Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 (still for free for legit Window 7)
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Follow the link to the microsoft windows 10 download site.

Download installer, and run it.

Failed to install Windows 10.
The solution is here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/we-couldn't-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows

Follow the instructions in the above link, to free up space. Use the Windows 7 instructions. (MBR type in my case.)

In my case, with an SSD for a C drive, the SRP (SystemReservedPartition) turned out to be the first 100 MB of the drive. It is not identified as the SRP, and Microsoft does not tell you that this is the SRP. It was necessary to visit other sites to learn this.

<<<<<WARNING: There is danger in Zonking the bootup of the PC.>>>>>

1. The free version of MiniToolPartitionWizard was helpful in giving the SRP a temporary drive name of "Y", and removing the "Y" name after space was recovered.

2. 15 MB was needed. There was only 7 MB free. The partition was ID's as MBR.
Removing language folders proved to be impossible, due to MS cryptic instructions as to what to type. After typing per the instructions about 20 times, with different permutations, I gave up. Admin privileges were not obtained.

3. Truncating the NTFS Log was easy. Some 40 MB+ of "Logs" was freed up.
NOTE: As usual the MS instructions are cryptic and incomplete/scattered in different sections. First begin by pressing the windows logo and search for "cmd".
cmd.exe appears in the search results. Right click it and select "run as administrator", then select YES to the resulting window. The black, dos style command window appears. Type Y: to get into the Y drive. Now the instructions for reducing the size of the Log file can be followed.

4. Temporary Y drive name of the SRP was removed.

Windows 10 installed just fine. MoI looks very nice.

- Brian