MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: exporting 2d

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-50

23 Oct 2007   [#48] In reply to [#46]
Hi Anthony, I also updated the converter program ( http://moi3d.com/download/3dmCurves2DXF.zip ) to write this additional flag as well, so if that circle works then grab this new version.

> In the mean time my vote is for 2D export of circular arcs and straight line
> features if that's possible, so they can be directly imported into 2.5D CAM
> or non-mechancial CAD systems.

Yes, when I get to this point for version 2 I want to have several options for DWG/DXF export, whether to export as splines, use arc and line entities, or break things into polylines.

- Michael
26 Oct 2007   [#49] In reply to [#48]
Thanks again, I've been slow to check this forum, busy.

I tried the circles dxf with much the the same result as before. The circle is 'square' as seen in the 3rd attachment, also if I try to make it round you can also see there is a sharp node (maybe start and finish) in attachment 1. An import straight into SheetCam converts it to polylines, very similar to QCad, otherwise I'd say the problem is limited completely to QCad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if extraction of arc and line entities is on the drawing board then that's good enough for me!

BTW I did something useful in 3D lastnight and it was all done in 15 mins. Apart from a little playing on SolidWorks and over the years and more recently with Alibre, I'm no 3D designer. Very cool. I might make a gallery post.

- Antony.

Attachments:
test_qcad_circle-modified.png
test_qcad_circle-sheetcam.png
test_qcad_circle.png

30 Dec 2010   [#50] In reply to [#8]
>>Hi Paul, I cooked up a converter for you, you can download it from here:
>>http://moi3d.com/download/3dmCurves2DXF.zip
>>
>>Unzip this to some folder, then run the 3dmCurves2DXF.exe program.
>>
>>It will ask you for the name of an input .3dm file, and then the name of an output .dxf file.
>>
>>It will read through the input .3dm file and convert any curve objects it finds to Spline entities in the DXF file.
>>
>>Please let me know if this works to transfer your curve data over.
>>
>>- Michael

I know this thread is almost 3 years old, but when something works you have to give credit. This works perfectly! I drew an object using simple lines in the "TOP" view, and then converted the 3DM to a DXF file. That file will now be used to laser cut gaskets in .010" copper.

Brilliant!

Thanks,

Chris

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-50