MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: exporting 2d

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-49  50

13 Sep 2007   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Michael ,

First of all thank you very very much for the mini 3dm to dxf convertor .
It works quite well and it should be just right for my purposes .
I opened it in Turbocad and some other programs I have ( freeware , alibré x press, solidedge 2d ).
The splines that replace the curves are wel in their place .
This mini 3dm to dxf convertor will do the job for me I hope it will be usefull to somebody else also .

I'll keep the forum informed about my guitar building process with Moi .

Paul
13 Sep 2007   [#11]
Works like a charm ! Even the curves 3D (is that normal ?
Bravo!

Attachments:
dxf.jpg

13 Sep 2007   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Hi Paul, that's great, I'm glad that it will help!

I'm looking forward to seeing some guitar stuff, it would be very interesting if you could take some photos of different stages in the process and post them.

@Pilou - seems like this converter may help in more situations than I had thought!

I'm still planning on doing a much more comprehensive DWG and DXF export for version 2, but this seems to be a good step for transferring curve data to apps that don't support IGES.

> Even the curves 3D (is that normal ?

Yup, it will convert any kind of curve, either flat or 3D.

- Michael
13 Sep 2007   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Michael ,

I tried a 3d file and it partially worked .
I'll do some more tests on it in the next days and let you know .

Paul
13 Sep 2007   [#14]
< seems like this converter may help in more situations than I had thought!
yes but after for use it, it's not so evident in the case of curves 3D :)
Yet by the simple aspect thats great, but for use it as entity it's another story :)
because they don't define a planar surface :)
13 Sep 2007   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Paul, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing - by 3D I meant curve objects that might swoop around with different z values, instead of just being flattened on the xy plane.

Here's one example:

I didn't mean models with surfaces or solids like a sphere or solid box.

If you do run into any problems, please send me a .3dm file with the problem curve in it.

- Michael

Attachments:
helixcrv.jpg

13 Sep 2007   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Michael ,

You're right I converted a file with surfaces and some curves . that's why I tought I was missing some lines and curves because they were actually surfaces, and the lines that were still there were the start lines and curves I made before making surfaces with them .sorry about that !!
I'll try some thing in the next days .

Paul
13 Sep 2007   [#17] In reply to [#14]
This script macro might be useful for some data transfer stuff - this will duplicate every edge of every surface or solid in the scene as a regular independent curve object. Those curve objects can then be processed into DXF using that utility.

You can do this manually by selecting all the edges and doing copy/paste, this just makes it easier to process everything with one keystroke if you've got multiple objects.

code:
script:var breps = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getBReps(); for ( var iBrep = 0; iBrep < breps.length; ++iBrep ) { var brep = breps.item(iBrep); var edges = brep.getEdges(); for ( var iEdge = 0; iEdge < edges.length; ++iEdge ) { var newedge = edges.item(iEdge).clone(); moi.geometryDatabase.addObject( newedge ); } }

To use it, go to Options / Shortcut keys and set up a new one, paste this in as the Command part.

- Michael
13 Sep 2007   [#18] In reply to [#17]
That's works again here from a cube solid :)
each cubes' Edges are divided in small edges

Attachments:
dxf2.jpg
dxf3.jpg

13 Sep 2007   [#19]
But when you select all a face you can create a real face 3D:) (in google Skechup)
(cubes' edges are always divided)

Attachments:
dxf4.jpg

13 Sep 2007   [#20]
Hello ,

I just tried the macro script and it all works well . Now I can see all the edge curves of the surfaces when I use the convertor to DXF.

Many thanks ,

Paul
13 Sep 2007   [#21]
In fact i have found a plugin for Sketchup who repair the "lines broken colinear" so that solve my problem for the straight lines on the 3dSpace :)
If someone is interested that is that http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/EM/repair_broken_lines.rb

For a 3D curve no linear seems that is more difficult to use it for build a surface :)
But maybe exist a new ruby script who knows? :)
14 Sep 2007   [#22] In reply to [#21]
It is strange that it breaks the lines in the first place... I wonder why they decide to do that?

They may process Line entities instead of Spline entities better. There are a lot of different ways to store stuff in a DXF file, right now that converter just exports everything as a Spline object, but for version 2 I want to add an option to output stuff like line, circle, and arc entities instead of everything as a spline. That might help for some situations.

- Michael
14 Sep 2007   [#23] In reply to [#22]
In fact a simple line from Moi in 3dm converted in DXF is imported in Sketchup as a "Component"
So when you explode it you have these divided lines ! (Mysterious I am agree :)
14 Sep 2007   [#24]
Michael ,

You can also sign me up for version 2 .
By the way How do I turn screenshots of moi into a Jpeg so I can put them on the forum for documentation ?

Paul
14 Sep 2007   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Hi Paul, I usually use PaintShop Pro for doing that. There are other image utility programs you can also use, some of them free like IrfanView.

But it is also possible to do it just with stuff built in to Windows - you can push the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard to put a snapshot of the screen into the Window clipboard, and then run the old Windows paint program (pbrush.exe), and inside there do a Ctrl+V to paste the image in from the clipboard, and then save as a JPEG type image out of there.

- Michael
14 Sep 2007   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Michael ,

I just discovered the print screen method a few minutes ago.
I'm more of technician then a graphic artist so I even have to learn the basic stuff .
Here's a jpeg of a basic bassguitar body I'll try to cncrout it in a scaled size version next week .

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments:
naamloos.JPG

14 Sep 2007   [#27]
a very complet graphic tool (and free) is Artwaever http://www.artweaver.de/ (multi languages)
It's like Toshop + Painter :)
14 Sep 2007   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Thanks for the link Pilou I'll check it out .

Paul
14 Sep 2007   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Your guitar remember my little tut :)
http://www.divshare.com/download/286136-d3d
Wait 5 second, Load it, Unzip, and open the html file in your favorite navigator :)

Show messages:  1-9  10-29  30-49  50