MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Need help with brain teaser

16 Nov 2018   [#1]
Hi folks. I'd like to take the solid model in the attached file and "emboss" the lines for the brickwork onto it, creating an approx. .020" x .020" relief on the curved face using the line sections as a guide. I have no idea if this is possible, or how to accomplish it. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Chris

Attachments:
emboss bricks onto base.3dm
ITC station brick base PLAIN.3dm

Image Attachments:
example emboss bricks.jpg 

16 Nov 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Chris, usually stuff similar to that is better done by texture mapping in a rendering program. Or also there are some sculpting programs like ZBrush or 3D Coat which are heavily focused on applying displacement.

One thing that you could try with MoI though would be to make a bitmap image with your pattern in it and use ZSurf (see http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=602.7) or Max's HeightMap script (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7547.1 and the script can be found at Max's file archive here: http://moi.maxsm.net/media/files/ ) to make a textured surface and then use Transform > Deform > Flow to apply it onto your target surface.

- Michael
17 Nov 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael. I should have mentioned the end result will be 3D printed on my SLA machine, so there has to be an actual displacement of the surface.

Chris
17 Nov 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Chris, the ZBrush and 3D Coat programs should be able to apply displacement and give you displaced geometry in the form of polygons which could then exported to STL format for 3D printing.

The other methods I mentioned, ZSurf or Max's HeightMap plug-in will also generate geometry that can be exported as well.

- Michael
17 Nov 2018   [#5]
Free Blender made also some displacements! ;)

And if you want your bricks as the Moi flow command, you have inside free Sketchup 2017 Make, 2 plugins that make that : Flowify and Shape Bender :)
17 Nov 2018   [#6]
Hello,

Project, Sweep, Boolean and Fillet should be able to do this.
17 Nov 2018   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Chris, maybe it would help if you could show an example of what type of result you're trying to get. Is it something that's kind of like a bumpy texture or do you want something more like crisp sharply defined bricks like little boxes?

- Michael
18 Nov 2018   [#8]
Hi,

I tested a method.

First you use your wall and apply the FatLines plugin.
Use it with your wall in the good view (good view depends to the perpendicular you use... test each or rotate your wall to be horizontal
With your file I use 0.015 inch large
delete or hide your original curves

With new curves, extrude them

You have now a solid to flow on your wall.

Flow it using a plan adapted (cf my picture where plan is in green)

To finish your wall, do a boolean difference between wall and 3D bricks border

Adapt this method with right adjustements in size of borders, in depth, in source plan of flow...

Beware about faisability... I don't know if printer could do so tiny details...

All done in MOI3D with a single plugin (Fatlines Thanks to Max)

Image Attachments:
2018-11-18_15h22_11.png  2018-11-18_15h23_23.png  2018-11-18_15h39_14.png  2018-11-18_15h39_34.png  2018-11-18_15h40_05.png  2018-11-18_15h40_49.png  2018-11-18_15h41_14.png  2018-11-18_15h41_22.png  2018-11-18_15h41_38.png 

3 Apr 2019   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Pretty close. I'm only just now getting back to this problem. I will try this method with some minor changes to suit the prototype, which are bricks in a foundation.

Thanks!

Chris
4 Apr 2019   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Like Phiro, FatLines to extrude was my first thought as well!