MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: 3DX Space mouse

9 Nov 2018   [#1]
Hello Michael
thanks for all your fine work.
I have run in to something. It concerns the 3DX space mouse.
The controls sometime work and some times I have to start up the V3 and only then after I fudge with the view preferences. And only then do the Space mouse controls kick-in.

Also when I had both V3 and V4 open at the same time the V4 lached onto the moi.ini file that was in my Roaming V3 folder, took on most settings too. Does this sound right to you? This is not a problem for me... i think
Ivan
9 Nov 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Ivan,

re:
> The controls sometime work and some times I have to start up the V3 and only then after I
> fudge with the view preferences. And only then do the Space mouse controls kick-in.

Does this happen in V4 too or only in V3? MoI v3 uses a pretty old interface to the Space mouse while v4 has been updated to use a newer library which is better supported I think.

> Also when I had both V3 and V4 open at the same time the V4 lached onto the moi.ini file that was in my
> Roaming V3 folder, took on most settings too. Does this sound right to you?

Yes, this is how it's intended to work by default anyway. There aren't separate roaming folders for V3 or V4, there's just one general one for all Moi versions.

If you want though it is possible to make MoI v3 and v4 use separate moi.ini files instead of sharing the same one. You could do that by copying the moi.ini file from its normal spot in appdata into the main installation folder inside Program Files. MoI will use a moi.ini file it finds alongside moi.exe first before looking for it in appdata. But you would also need to run MoI with elevated administrator privileges so that it could modify the file.

Or another method you can use is if you set up a path to a file ending with an .ini file extension as a command line parameter to MoI.exe it will use that file.

- Michael
9 Nov 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks, as ever, for the quick response Michael.

the situation with the 3DX spacemouse is that it in V4 it does not work (after I either turn the 3DX driver off and then back on, or I shutdown the computer) , Then I must shut V4 down. Open V3, thereafter reopen V4 and the 3DX space mouse control work fine.

However, the buttons on the spacemouse(I have them assigned as Undo and Redo) still do not work in V4, (I have wiped clean and assigned the buttons again with V4 open) but still no luck. They work fine in V3

Ivan
10 Nov 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Ivan, what operating system are you using and what version of the 3DX drivers?

- Michael
10 Nov 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Michael, I am running Windows7pro the following is verbatim form the,
About 3DXWare window:
Software Version
3DxWare 10.5.10
3DxWinCore 17.5.10.15247
Device
SpaceMouse Wireless Receiver(FW:4.38)
ivan
11 Nov 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi ivan, I'm not able to reproduce this behavior over here. But there is a newer 3DXWave available (10.5.11) than your current one, so that would probably be the first thing to try. It's available from https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html .

There is also a newer SDK library available too, for the part that is linked into an application. I'll see if I can update to that for the next v4 beta maybe that will help.

- Michael
11 Nov 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Michael,
I have updated my driver for the 3DX and the controls now work fine with just V4.
The Buttons however, still not cooperating.
I guess I will have to wait for the next beta v4?
11 Nov 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Ivan, well that's an improvement at least. Neither MoI v3 nor MoI v4 did any special handling of the 3DX keys for undo or redo, so if it worked in v3 I would guess that the driver is sending a Ctrl+Z keystroke. I don't know why they don't do the same thing for the newer interface as well.

Can you show me how you have the 3Dconnexion driver settings configured so I can set mine up the same way over here to test with?

- Michael
12 Nov 2018   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Michael, The undo/redo commands assigned to the buttons reside within a “macro” menu under the “Buttons” button. I have saved the setting in an attached file

Attachments:
3dx exported settings.3dxz

15 Nov 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Ivan, thanks for sending the settings. I was able to reproduce undo/redo by space mouse buttons not working in MoI v4 but working ok in v3 and I tracked it down to a bug that was causing MoI to not recognize the Ctrl key properly in this case. I've got it fixed up now for the next v4 beta.

- Michael
15 Nov 2018   [#11] In reply to [#10]
no, no, Thank YOU! :)
look forward to the next release
28 Nov 2018   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Hello Michael,
A further tweak…maybe? The 3DX driver must be ON before MoI4 is ON.
Otherwise the Spacemouse does not work.
With V3 the 3DX driver can be turned on after MoI is running and the controls work.
Ivan
28 Nov 2018   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Ivan, that is intentional behavior, it is recommend by 3DConnexion to avoid a potentially long initialization when no 3DX driver is present at all as described here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2814

If you are going to be using the Spacemouse, can't you have it set to run at machine startup and always have it running?

- Michael
1 Dec 2018   [#14] In reply to [#13]
thank you