MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: "New look" for Moi?

8 Nov 2018   [#1]
Hi Michael (and everyone). I was wondering if there was any interest in having V4 (or beyond) providing a view like this?

I really like how OnShape renders my designs, but I prefer Moi's interface *by a mile*. Am I crazy for wanting to combine the two?

Best,

Chris

Image Attachments:
latest truck assembly snapshot.png  trucks 3D view.png 

8 Nov 2018   [#2]
I sometimes would need the transparency of glass. Please combine it.
8 Nov 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Chris, do you like that the edges are drawn in black in Onshape? You can get that in MoI too by setting the option under Options > View > "Colors" section > "Edge color" . Set it to Edge color: Fixed color so edges will all be drawn as black instead of in the style color.

Then also turn off "Display hidden lines" also on Options > View, that should also get it closer to what you show in Onshape.

- Michael
8 Nov 2018   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Rudl - re: transparency of glass - unfortunately the way video cards work does not really lend itself to transparency very well without a major performance hit. Because of that it is not likely to be something added in to MoI soon, sorry.

- Michael
8 Nov 2018   [#5]
As a rendering option?
8 Nov 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Rudl, yes it would be more feasible for rendering than for viewport display.

- Michael
8 Nov 2018   [#7] In reply to [#3]
Thanks for the suggestions Michael. :)

Image Attachments:
latest truck assembly snapshot 2.png 

8 Nov 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
No problem Chris, is that close to what you were looking for?

Another thing you can test is a setting in moi.ini under

[View]
<...>
UseThinAntiAliasing=n

Change that to =y if you would like a little thinner look to the curves and edges. To edit moi.ini, go to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button near the bottom.

- Michael
14 Nov 2018   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Thanks Michael, looks even better!

Chris

Image Attachments:
2018-11-14 12_38_06-Greenshot.png 

15 Nov 2018   [#10]
The Onshape screenshot is using SSAO (screenspace Ambient Occlusion) which is very common feature in Gaming Cards now.

Regardless, I am modeler....i prefer to see the surface, and SSAO will start to artifact when zooming in to small areas, which just mucks up the experience.

Transparency on the other hand, is a very useful feature for tracing surfaces and visualizing. Things like concepting a helmet are useful, if we can see the interior.
26 Nov 2018   [#11] In reply to [#10]
I'm definitely a +1 for adding Ambient Occlusion as a viewport option in Moi 4. When things look good, it only helps with the motivation! (..and the sales :))