MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Last used folder

4 Nov 2018   [#1]
Hi,

I tried to figure out why v3 opens the last used folder and v4 not. There a default folder is opened every time I start MOI v4. I looked the ini file up, but could not find an entry for that feature.

Can anybody help here?

Best regards,

Axel
4 Nov 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Axel, yes I've just recently noticed that V3 and V4 behave differently for this and I'm not sure why that is either.

There is a setting in moi.ini you can try:
[Settings]
SaveWorkingDirectoryAtExit=n

Does that make any difference?

I recently added something for the Mac version to make it remember the last used file dialog location and use that on the next file dialog open, I guess I should do that for both versions. I'm not sure why it was handled for me by V4, maybe the older style file open dialog handles that itself and the newer one doesn't.

- Michael
6 Nov 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

thank you. It works now, v4 remembers the last folder. The entry was already in the ini file, but I changed the "n" to "y".

Cheers,

Axel
7 Nov 2019   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Michael,

in v4 Oct version I have again the issue that the last folder is not used during a session in MOI. I always have to select the folder. Same is for the image folder when inserting a background image. I tried your suggestion to change the y to n and vice versa for SaveWorkingDirectoryAtExit=n but that does not seem to solve the issue.

Can you cross check that? I use Win7.

Thank you and best regards,

Axel
7 Nov 2019   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Alex, I can't repeat that over here with the Oct 10 version, also on Win7. Here's what I'm doing, use File > Open and go to a folder and open a .3dm file. Then close MoI and reopen it and use File > Open again and I start out in the same folder.

Are you using some other method to open the file?

Is it possible you have moved your moi.ini file to a location where it is read only?

The way it is supposed to work now is that the last folder used by a file dialog is saved in moi.ini under:

[Settings]
<....>
LastFileDialogDirectory=C:\folder\

Do you have anything in that?

- Michael
8 Nov 2019   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Michael,

thank you.

This is the entry in the .ini file which is located under Users/Computer Name/AppData/Roaming/MOI

[Settings]
Startup template=
MaxProcessMemoryUseGB=
SaveWorkingDirectoryAtExit=y
StartupWorkingDirectory=F:\Modelle\St. XYZ123\MOI\
SetNameWhenOpeningAllFileTypes=n
FileLoaderThreadLimit=
LastFileDialogDirectory=F:\Modelle\St. XYZ123\MOI\

(Under \MOI\ the .3dm files are located)

The moi.ini is not write-protected.

Interesting is that when open according to your procedure always the file name "St.3dm" is written in the window field of filename. Shouldn't that be empty? I checked with version 3 and there the last used folder is opened and the filename field is empty and only when you select the file the filename field is then filled with the name .3dm

It's quite weird, because under v3 it works and also under the previous beta version it worked after I changed the setting according to your advise.

Cheers,

Axel
8 Nov 2019   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Axel, I think the problem is the period in your path (after St): F:\Modelle\St. XYZ123\MOI\

Periods in file names are used to separate the name from the file extension, like filename.3dm - having one in the middle of the path will cause various file parsing mechanisms to get confused. With F:\Modelle\St. XYZ123\MOI\ it's going to think that the folder is at "F:\Modelle\" , the filename is "St" and the file extension is " XYZ123\MOI\" .

If you remove the period from the folder name it should probably solve the problem.

- Michael
8 Nov 2019   [#8] In reply to [#7]
OMG...that easy! :-)

I could have found that culprit by myself! Luckily all other related files as drawings, etc. I properly named with a _ in between.

Thanks Michael!