MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: adjusting hole size

15 Oct 2018   [#1]
Hello,
I was wondering if there are ΔΎ thing possible in MOI which I'm used from DS mechanical.
I used DSM previously and now trying to migrate to MOI.

1. Can I select the surface and draw onto it?
so far I noticed that I will always draw on zero height whatever view I have and not on the surface.
If I want to draw a circle somewhere on big plane on model I attached and subtract it from the surface.
Other words: make 0,5mm deep hole of 10mm diameter in the middle.
Is there a simple way of doing it?
All I can think of is quite complicated like create at 0 height and move manually for the value which would have to be calculated and then do a boolean diff.

2. Can I adjust hole sizes of the 4 holes in the corners?
Again, way I can come up with is quite complicated.

I would be very thankful if someone can explain to me.

Atached model is quite simple so it's easyier to see operation, but more complex models will be real pain doing above mentioned.

Thanks.
Juraj

Attachments:
vana.3dm

15 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
2. About circles
Draw a Point on the existing Center for keep the Center!
if they are smaller than existing : just erase existing (select internal cylinder face / Delete - select circle curves / delete )
then draw a new circle and make a Boolean Diff

if they are biggest just draw a new circle and make a Boolean Diff
15 Oct 2018   [#3]
1 - About text

Just click the base point when you see the Helper text "Surf" over the surface wanted!
Write your text - if it has not the good orientation just rotate it! :)
15 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Juraj, a parametric based modeler would work better for these kinds of tasks. MoI is more focused on making things quick and simple to draw initially. In a parametric type CAD system there tends to be more steps involved to just draw things but your steps are remembered and can be adjusted.

> 1. Can I select the surface and draw onto it?
> so far I noticed that I will always draw on zero height whatever view I have and not on the surface.

If you have object snap enabled then the first point you pick will go on that snapped-on-to object's height.

For your case here since you already have circles at that height it would be easiest to use those, either select the circle edges and duplicate them using Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V and then select one and modify its radius value in the properties panel, or use Construct > Offset to make a new circle.

> 2. Can I adjust hole sizes of the 4 holes in the corners?
> Again, way I can come up with is quite complicated.

To make them larger you'd make a larger circle and then do boolean difference. To make them smaller you'd need to do an "untrim" to remove the holes and then do a new boolean. http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

> Atached model is quite simple so it's easyier to see operation, but more complex
> models will be real pain doing above mentioned.

MoI is just not the right tool to use for a complex assembly that will need those kinds of modifications later on. You would want to use a parametric CAD modeling system for that type of job, there are many of them out there. MoI is focused on different kinds of things than that.

- Michael