MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Possible to script context based hotkeys in MOI3d?

14 Oct 2018   [#1]
Hi Eveyone,

I was wondering if I can implement my maya workflow into MOI3d in regards to hotkey set up.

I would like to group scripts onto a single hotkey, and have them execute based on any number of conditions in the viewport such as
camera view
selection type object vs face vs vert vs edge
selection quanity
edges vs points vs faces mode
snaping on or off

I have experience doing this in maya/python

Is there a template available for doing this?

Thanks,
Dive
14 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi dive, it might be possible but there are differences in how MoI is structured compared to Maya. For example there isn't a single global edge/point/face mode in MoI. In MoI it is possible to have one object with selected edges, another with selected faces, and another yet with points on. Or for example it is possible to have one object with an edge selected and also points are turned on for it as well.

So some of what you are describing doesn't quite match with MoI, you would probably need to decide in more detail what the conditions are in MoI.

Maybe if you could explain one condition in more detail and what you want to have happen when that condition is met then I could make an example script for you and then add further conditions to that.

Also another thing to be aware of is that MoI is focused on NURBS modeling which has a very different type of modeling strategy than polygon modeling. So if the goal of this is to try and replicate a polygon modeling workflow in MoI that may not really be a good idea. There are some tips for people coming from a poly modeling background here which may be useful:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

- Michael