MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Exporting question

11 Oct 2018   [#1]
Hi, i discover moi3D and have a question about exporting setup. Why can't i export my mesh only in quad poygons? Is there a basic explanation about that?
Thank you
11 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Nico,

re:
> Why can't i export my mesh only in quad poygons? Is there a basic explanation about that?

MoI's exporter just doesn't work that way currently, it's designed to generate polygons that follow the UV structure of the NURBS surfaces. You will get quads on an untrimmed surface but where there are areas where the surface has been trimmed those quads will also get trimmed and become n-gons.

In the future I would like to work on a quads only export but it will need a much different type of meshing algorithm and that requires a lot of work to make. So I don't know when that might happen.

- Michael
12 Oct 2018   [#3]
Hi Michael,
thank you for this clear answer. I was quite sure it was an algorithm stuff which i couldn't really understand ;-)
Your software is really an excellent way of making quickly and easily great shapes. I love it. But sometimes get frustrated because i like so much the shapes i create that i would like to use them as they are in C4D. But those ngones kill my renders :-(

Btw, i've bought a licence recently and i can't launch the 3 version, only the beta works on my hackintosh. Doesn't matter but strange.

Thnks a lot
12 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Nico, can you show an example of your problem with n-gons?

For just rendering n-gons should work fine, there isn't any benefit to having "all quads" if you are only rendering. It's when you are applying subdivision surface smoothing that all quads is needed. But typically it does not make sense to apply subdivision smoothing to a CAD model.

The MoI v3 Mac version uses a mechanism called "Wineskin" and it has various problems. For version 4 I've done a major rewrite so that the MoI mac version is a native compile and doesn't use Wineskin anymore. So that's why there can be differences between those versions.

When you say you can't launch v3, what happens exactly like is there an error message that is displayed?

- Michael
12 Oct 2018   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Nico, also if your renderings are not looking good it might be that you're not getting vertex normals coming through to control the shading.

Make sure you're using .obj format for transfer into Cinema4D and also check if any option for importing vertex normals is enabled. There should be a "normals" tag on your imported objects.

- Michael
12 Oct 2018   [#6]
Hi Michael, i have this message appearing each time i try to launch V3.2. I've repaired authorizations without success. As i told you, it's not a problem as V4 is really stable even in beta.
It seems Moi3D mounts a virtual disk each time i use it. With V4 no problem but perhaps the problem comes from this disk with V3.2?
Thanks a lot for your interest.

Image Attachments:
Capture d’écran 2018-10-12 à 13.39.19.png 

12 Oct 2018   [#7]
And concerning ngones, it's really annoying with translucide materials. And i agree, in most cases, meshes are clean enough to be rendered as they are. But sometimes i'd like to export low poly meshes and use them with subdivision tools in C4D. Indeed, i think i have to learn more export options because for now, my "cleanest" meshes are really heavy. All is in learning :-)
12 Oct 2018   [#8]
Hi Nico,

To subdivide you have to retopo the mesh, it wont work otherwise.

Marc
12 Oct 2018   [#9] In reply to [#6]
Hi Nico,

re:
> Hi Michael, i have this message appearing each time i try to launch V3.2. <...>
> It seems Moi3D mounts a virtual disk each time i use it. With V4 no problem but
> perhaps the problem comes from this disk with V3.2?

Hmmm, that is not normal to have a virtual disk mounted on each run like that. Maybe you're running it from inside the .zip archive?

You need to get it unzipped and then hopefully that should go away.

But you can also run into that same error dialog if you try to run MoI v3.2 directly from the Downloads folder instead of moving it over to /Applications, that's from some security measures in recent OS versions that make app bundles read only when run directly from the Downloads folder. MoI v3.2 cannot run properly from a read only disk volume, but that is not a problem for v4.

- Michael
13 Oct 2018   [#10]
*Michael
Hi, the app is in my application folder and unzipped (as you can see on the screenshot). Don't know what's the issue but V4 is OK for me ;-)

*Marc
Hi, yes i know retopo is the way to use them with subD tools, unfortunately. That's why i asked this question :-(

Image Attachments:
Capture d’écran 2018-10-13 à 11.51.34.png 

13 Oct 2018   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Nico, hmmm well somehow it's not getting write permissions to write to the app bundle. Maybe it's some kind of sandbox setting in the new OS release?

re: low poly - that's not really a perfect match with a CAD tool like MoI since CAD is really focused on accuracy. You should expect to use a retopo process like Marc describes above to make low poly models. You can do it somewhat in MoI but it's not really focused on that area.

- Michael