MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MoI first impressions

9 Oct 2018   [#1]
Hi guys!

This is my first post, I am so happy to have found MoI. I am a 3d artist from a large VFX company, and I have discovered MoI by doing researches on the workflow of one of my vfx idols, a world-class renowned artist that has produced / directed art for productions like the last Ghost in The Shell movie. I have always been fascinated by the quality and quantity of detail he was putting in his hard surface modeling (i.e. not creature work) and the richness of his shapes, detail that is very hard to achieve in a normal cg modeling workflow with subdividable meshes.

I have tried a few CAD programs and find them very hard to learn and master for an artist, with the last one being Fusion 360 that I have decided not to go with, with reason #1 being it's just not fast and intuitive enough for me.

That has changed with MoI3d and I am very serious about learning it. I love it, it's a dream come true for me. I know I can now produce the shapes I want (nurbs workflow) in the cleanest and easiest way possible.

Also, being a python coder I don't feel too disoriented with js if I want to customize my workflow like everybody seems to do at some point here. So I am not saying this to talk about myself, but rather to make people understand the background I am coming from when reading these points below.

As a 1st time user I would like to share my impressions if you don't mind:

- I felt completely lost in searching info in the forums, it would be great to have a better browsing interface and a more powerful search in subjects capacity
- I am just slowly starting to understand how it's possible configure the UI through scripts. It would be really great if there was a section where user share their UI setups (colors, scripts)
- Overall, it would be great if ressources were even more centralized and browsable. Some users seem to have made incredible scripts, do they work with the customUI probably, not sure... The info is very dispersed and overwhelming
- If we could start the software with more modern colors easier(like dark theme) and customize the UI in a quickly accessible way, I think people would be running in the streets to buy themselves MoI licenses.
- I was not sure at first whether or not the community was active and the software was actively developped. But by searching the forums, I have found that yes, people are active in here and the v4 was getting periodical updates.

Michael your software totally rocks!!! I love MoI3d. There is a big buzz currently for Fusion 360-like software (or boolean modeling) in the cg community, MoI for me has definitely the best to offer for cg artists that want to model with cad.
9 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rick, thanks I'm glad you are liking MoI!

In the future I do want to address many of the things you mention like making a centralized script repository that can be browsed more easily. But such things take a lot of time and effort to produce and being a one person shop my time is very limited. Because of that several of those areas like UI customization and scripting just have not been focus areas for MoI so far. There is a lot that can be done with MoI in those areas but there isn't a lot of documentation for it, as you have seen.

That will likely change in the future at some point but I'm still currently more in the mode of focusing on basic stuff for "regular" end users.

- Michael
10 Oct 2018   [#3]
In any case, you must be doing very well because my general impression is that people are quite happy around here : ) Allrighty thank you!!