MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: 3DS Max import normals problem

Show messages: All  1  2-8

8 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi mantaskava, does it behave differently in Max if you use "Output: Quads & Triangles" when exporting out from MoI instead of n-gons?

- Michael
8 Oct 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Just tested it out and it behaves exactly the same. And even if it would fix the shading problem, it creates another one- messy topology which is nearly impossible to alter hassle free.
I really want this workflow to work (Create model in MoI > Export to Max > Modify geo in Max if needed). But I just can't get it to work without totally destroying shading of an object.
As it stands now, everytime I want to modify the original geo I pretty much have to re-create the model in MoI and re-export it and then re-apply all the materials/re-name all the objects/re-set mat id's etc. which is not time efficient at all.
8 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi mantaskava, as best I can tell from your description it sounds like it's a bug in 3DS Max when working with meshes that have vertex normals on them.

I'm not in control of 3DS Max so I'm not sure what I would be able to do to improve that for you. You would probably need to contact Autodesk about this problem.

- Michael
8 Oct 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Yeah I bet this is Max's problem too, I just thought that I shouldn't be first one to discover this problem and maybe someone here already found the solution. Since there should be plenty of people exporting their stuff to 3DS Max for rendering etc.
Hopefully someone still has some more insight into it and meanwhile I'll try contacting Autodesk too.
Thanks once again.
8 Oct 2018   [#6]
For what it is worth, as I've never used 3DS Max: This link speaks of 3 ways to fix the normals in 3DS Max,
with either "reset normals", or "Break", or "Unify" command in 3DS Max:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/model-gets-strange-black-grey-quot-shaded-quot-polys-and-it-just/td-p/4420379

-Brian

(Google search was "3dsmax import normals problem)
8 Oct 2018   [#7] In reply to [#1]
C4D is giving suspectly good result, because usually any other package will give you weird shading if you mess with the geometry at a vertex/poly level.
That's said 3Dsmax shading mess seems quite extreme here, like if vertex normal from the new added geo if just missing, or set at (0,0,0).
8 Oct 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Yeah that does look like the vertex normals are ending up as 0,0,0 . But also having the entire polygon pitch black probably means the entire polygon's vertex normals are ending up as 0,0,0 - if it was only some vertices you'd probably see something more like black streaks emanating from the 0,0,0 ones.

- Michael

Show messages: All  1  2-8