MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Is there a way to identify the normal direction of a surface inside of MOI?

7 Oct 2018   [#1]
HI, this is actually my first post.

I've been using Moi for a while now and getting better to understand a lot of functions.

I use MOI to build and bring everything into 3dsmax to do further jobs.

But usually I get a lot of flipped faces.

I understand there might be connections with the way that I am doing my modelling inside of MOI,

maybe a bit messy... but yet still I want to ask , is there any way that I can check face direction inside of MOi?

Because If there is I could correct directly inside of MOI will be a great time saver!

Thank you@
7 Oct 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Cless, sorry no currently there isn't any method set up in MoI to show the positive normal direction. I do want to add something for that in the future though.

One thing that can help is if you have created just individual surfaces that touch each other it is good to Join those together so they are larger connected objects. That way the whole connected piece will have a consistent normal direction and you shouldn't have lots of little ones to flip around in 3dsmax.

Also if you make your objects into a closed solid, that will automatically orient the normals to the outside of the solid volume.

- Michael
11 Oct 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you Michael. And I am very looking foward to the future version of Moi.

I managed to get alone with the Normal problem right now.

Using Moi is a very smooth working experience I could every imagine!

Here is what I am creating using moi. I am making this scene for a Anime style PV.

Best wishes

Image Attachments:
Test_10_11.png  Test_6_10_11.png 

11 Oct 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Cless, wow that is looking great!

- Michael
11 Oct 2018   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hello Cless!

You really did all that stuff using only Moi???

If so this is AWESOME!!! AMAZING!!!!
11 Oct 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thank you for replying Marco. I created All the part separately, correct the normal problem inside of 3dsmax.
Build a rough structure guid lines using only curves, and make flat pieces, deform them and make sure eveything fits.
Then bring everything into 3dsmax as Xref files to do futher Rendering stuff :D