MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: modo to moi

24 Aug 2018   [#1]
hi all

I am trying to get a simple mesh from Modo to Moi. I've tried 3dm Rhino option which makes a file but when opened in MOI there is just a list of styles - no geometry. Is there anyway to do a simple modo to moi conversion or is it an impossibility? DXF also gives nothing

I know its poly to nurbs but its just to to make a placeholder for a part in MOI

regards

Matt
24 Aug 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
try the _OBJ import by Max Smirnov
http://moi.maxsm.net/media/files/ (scroll down)

But not take file of millions of Polygons!
Make some decimate before!

Nurbs are not like polygons! Very difficult to transform polygons in Nurbs! (better if you have only quadrangular polygons objects)

You can use after some tricky scripts of Max Smirnov if you want to rest in polygon SubDivision modeling inside Moi!
SubDiv(beta 9), SSPlit, SBridge, SSCale...
24 Aug 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Matt,

re:
> I've tried 3dm Rhino option which makes a file but when opened in MOI there is just a list of styles - no geometry.

That's because the file saved by Rhino only contained polygon mesh objects and not NURBS objects. MoI is only focused on working with NURBS models for modeling and so skips other kinds of objects like polygon meshes.

> DXF also gives nothing

Pretty much the same thing - DXF files can contain a variety of different kinds of objects in them. MoI is only focused on reading 2D drafting entities like lines, circles, polylines and curves. Your DXF file is going to contain polygon mesh objects which are not handled by MoI.

> Is there anyway to do a simple modo to moi conversion or is it an impossibility?

Well MoI is not designed to work with polygon mesh objects for modeling so it's not generally a good idea. It's not necessarily impossible though, you can try Max's OBJ import plug-in that Pilou mentions above if your mesh objects are not not too dense. You could also use the ExtractWireframe command in Rhino to convert the polygon mesh object into line segments, MoI will then be able to read those lines in.

- Michael