MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: STEP to OBJ/FBX Conversion Problems

20 Aug 2018   [#1]
Dear Dev(s),
we use moi in our 3D pipeline for CAD to Poly conversion and are very happy with it!
But there are two recurrent problems we're facing from time to time:
1. STEP files get import just fine but are lacking of position data - so all parts are moved to the origin?
2. STEP converted to OBJ/FBX looks fine in moi (Meshing Options) but once imported into Maya it's all a scrambled mess!
It would be great to know at least what is causing these problems and how to avoid them...

best
Daniel
20 Aug 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Daniel, I'd recommend trying the V4 beta version which you can get from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

It has various improvements to STEP file import, one of which is some fixes to instance positioning bugs.

For the "scrambled mess" problem that could be a problem with Maya not liking complex n-gons. Try using the option for "Output: Quads & Triangles" when you export out from MoI rather than "Output: N-gons" and see if that is not scrambled. If that doesn't solve it can you please send me a file where you're having this problem, you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com

- Michael
20 Aug 2018   [#3]
Dear Michael,
thanks for the fast reply...

We already use the V4 Beta - although downloaded some months ago - maybe there is a newer version?
But the "ngon avoiding" export is a great idea i will try out asap...

best
Daniel

EDIT: Position "Bug" was fixed by installing latest Beta from Jun