MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Need a little help to convert a .stp file

16 Aug 2018   [#1]
Hello guys,

I'm trying to import this one from GrabCAD : https://grabcad.com/library/scania-dc09-diesel-engine-1
Here's a direct link : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1apKyseFcTDgyN9qsySA4Dg7WaZyznJSh

I have lot's of surface mess with MoI (V3/V4 gives the same result).
I wondering if anyone have access to a more advanced CAD tool that might give a better result ?

(I'm not blaming MoI .stp import, I'm just trying to find a solution to avoid too much clean-up ;))
16 Aug 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi PaQ, I'm only seeing one crazy face, if I delete that one it's looking like this over here in MoI v4:

It's a little tricky to select the crazy face though. The way I did it was to set a selection filter on faces which you can do in the Scene Browser, go to Types > Faces and Ctrl + Left click on the selection dot. Now you can do a right-to-left selection window around the bottom point of that long spike face to select it and then delete it.

Then don't forget to turn off the selection filter by another Ctrl+click on it or by pushing the Esc key.

Then do a view reset. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
paq_step_import.jpg 

16 Aug 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for testing,

The first time I loaded the step, I first delete the 'infinite' object, but I was still having lots of broken surface all over the place on the engine. So I tried again (to do a screenshot ... ), but now everything looks fine.
Can't explain it :( ... but it's all good, I can continue my job.

//Edit

Is it possible that thread subscription is broken ? I have subscribe to 2 or 3 threads lately (this one include), but I don't receive any mail alert when new message are posted.
16 Aug 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi PaQ, re: forum thread subscription yeah it's buggy. Someday I'll try to figure out why it only works sporadically.

- Michael
17 Aug 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Michael,

Ok, no problem !
(and of course now that I 'complain', the notification works again :O))

Cheers !