MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: geometry problems using network

Show messages:  1-15  16-22

22 Aug 2018   [#16]
From this method (derivated of the Stefan post) you can have perfect triangular surfaces! :)
Free to you to deform the Sphere on Z before the boolean Diff if you want a more bulged top! :)
(rotate the sphere bottom for not have the generator curve on the top surface! ;)

Give a thickness , Boolean Union and you will have any Fillets possible! :)

22 Aug 2018   [#17]
The way I would approach this is make whole spheres into the shapes I want first go through scaling in one direction and showing points on the sphere then stretching the points around to suit. I would have the triangle above the spheres and scale with the spheres. I would then cut with the triangles and then boolean it all together and then remove the bottom. That way you can make all of your decisions while they are sphere shapes and everything after that is just simple labor. if that makes sense.

23 Aug 2018   [#18] In reply to [#14]
And another.....

Image Attachments:
canopy3.jpg 

23 Aug 2018   [#19]
Or like this with different sizes :)

Of course each triangle can be at any Z, spheres can have any Z deformations (or more for crazzy forms) etc...

23 Aug 2018   [#20] In reply to [#15]
hi michael,

here is the file with a distroted base shape. it is quadrangualar, i think for a triangular base shape it is always possible to find a sphere that touches all the edges. i think the solution from val 2 illustrates that really well, it looks like alle the vaults are fitting together perfectly. maybe next time i ll create a design based on triangular vaults.

i tried to use your approach for the quadrangular distorted base shape and created an irregluar circle and i think it works quite nicely, but the sides of the vault don t match the original curves exactly, similar to your example. it would be difficult to have several vaults next to each other that match perfectly (screenshot distorted vaults 01 and 02). maybe a solution for this problem can be constructed, but my math skills are simply not good enough, which is why i worked around it in c4d with sub division modelling.

thanks again to everyone for posting different solutions to my problem, i didn t expect so much help it is really appreciated!!

kind regards
john

Attachments:
vault quadrangular 01.3dm

Image Attachments:
screenshot distorted vaults 01.JPG  screenshot distorted vaults 02.JPG 

23 Aug 2018   [#21]
Why not Rail Revolve ?
Height as you want : Arcs by 3 Points

One for the ellipse, one for the circle
then Union, then Thickness then Fillet

Here 2 differents heights

23 Aug 2018   [#22] In reply to [#20]
Hi john, thanks for posting that. Yes I would probably go with subdivision surface modeling for doing that.

For doing it in NURBS it would work better to change how you're specifying the structure, you'd want to set up dome shapes and have the final edges be created by intersections between the domes rather than starting out with those edges and trying to surface those. If you had all 4-sided areas you could do it by surfacing but it will be difficult with 3 sided areas included. Subdivision surfaces are good at dealing with adapting to topology changes like that.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-15  16-22