MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Moi3d vs Rhino

3 Jul 2018   [#1]
Hello everyone,

I am a 3d soles designer, the designs are organic, complex with exact measurements.

Only design with nurbs, I'm not interested in sub-d, I'm not interested in rendering (I do it in Keyshot).

I have been a Rhino user for 15 years, I would like to know that you can give me moi3d respect to Rhino.

I'm not saying of Rhino leaving radically, but I want to know, if it's worth trying, if I could complement it with Rhino or I could really do my work with Moi3d.

- I see that Flow on surfaces and curves is strong? Is it better than Rhino?
- Does Moi3d have an edit box to deform?
- Are the fillets better? Rhino is very bad.
- In rhino the edges do not coincide, this is very frustrating. Is Moi3d better?
- The Moi3d kernel, what is it?
- I see that there are few tools regarding rhino. Is it good or bad?

Has anyone changed to Moi3d for rhino?

Does anyone design with the two programs? Do they complement each other?

Sorry traslate with google, I'm from Spain

Thank you all.

Message 8993.2 was deleted

3 Jul 2018   [#3]
I retype my message because the previous one was full of syntax errors :)

Hello Kisar.

I have both Rhino V5 and Moi.

In short:

1) Filleting, shelling, offsetting: Moi is good for simple things but Rhino is a is a little bit better. Neither has very powerful Filleting, shelling, offsetting.

2) Moi has a SUPERB workflow. The more streamlined and super fast workflow that you can find in a 3D Nurbs Cad.
It's undoubtedly its stronger feature.

3) Rhino has TONS AND TONS of features that Moi has not. Above all the super powerful Grasshopper module and all its API usable in many languages.
And, even if thanks to Max Smirnov, Moi has the Node Editor, it is undoubtedly not comparable to what we can do with Grasshopper.
Especially from the performance side.

4) Rhino has an internal Rendering module. But I never liked it.

5) Rhino has a full featured "Drafting" module that allows you to easily create technical sheets and drawing based on the 3D model.

6) Rhino has a superb "Point Cloud" module

In short (final):

All depends on what you have to do.
If you are looking for a SUPER FAST tool that allows you to create 3D Content in the fastest possible way then go without doubt for MOI!!!

But if you need a more legacy 3D Nurbs Cad, maybe Rhino is a better choice, because, as I have said, Rhino as tons of features that Moi has not.

For what I have to do, that is 3D content for artistic purposes, Moi is my choice and along with 3D-Coat is my main 3D tool

- Marco (mkdm)
My Procreate portfolio
3 Jul 2018   [#4]
And don't forget that i believe that you can make CTRL+ C & CTRL + V in the 2 ways between them! (on PC :)
3 Jul 2018   [#5] In reply to [#1]
""""""""""Does anyone design with the two programs? Do they complement each other?""""""""""

Bingo!

You can work with MoI, then use Rhino when you need more advanced operations with things like Patch modeling/Surface continuity matching etc.....
3 Jul 2018   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Kisar, there are a lot of people who use MoI and Rhino in combination with each other. The strong areas of MoI are in the basic stuff like drawing, snapping and selection functions.

MoI uses the Solids++ kernel. I'd recommend testing out the trial version to see if you like it.

- Michael
3 Jul 2018   [#7]
I do architectural work. I love designing and modeling with MoI3d. I do use it in tandem with Rhino. Rhino currently has features that MoI does not ... dimensioning is a prime example. It is coming to MoI in the relatively near future. Rhino reads MoI files perfectly so switching to add dimensions and other features is easy. I do currently need both programs. I usually do as much as I can with MoI and then switch to Rhino for more finished work.
cheers,
eric
27 Jul 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael ...
Dimensions soon in Beta 4 ?
cheers,
eric
27 Jul 2018   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi eric, sorry probably not for the next beta but probably the one after. It will probably be one of the last areas that I'll work on before wrapping up v4.

- Michael
28 Jul 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Thanks for the reply Michael.
I'll just keep anticipating.
cheers,
eric
3 Aug 2018   [#11] In reply to [#3]
Rhino 6 now incorporates a new render engine which is "borrowed" from Blender. It's the Cycles Renderer which can produce really astounding results, even in real time mode. You should give it a try.
3 Aug 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hello 3image.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.
The current Rhino's implementation of Cycles it's absolutely not comparable with the counterpart that we have in Blender.
I can say this because I have both Rhino V5 for some years and I've tested for several months the version V6 WIP (all the latest builds) of Rhino.
The implementation of Cycles in Rhino it's "only a shadow" compared to the full and very powerful Cycles engine that you have in Blender.

Regards.
4 Aug 2018   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hello Marco,

Yes, I know, it's indeed not comparable to Blender. Especially not with Blender 2.8 on the horizon.

What I meant was that the new renderer in Rhino v6 is way better compared to the old native renderer of Rhino v5. And I think this is very true.
4 Aug 2018   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi 3image.

@You : "...the new renderer in Rhino v6 is way better compared to the old native renderer of Rhino v5..."
Oh..yes! About this point I agree with you.
It's built-in the Rhino package and this is good, considering how much Rhino costs.
But, beside the overall quality and feature that are much less then the counterpart in Blender, it's also rather slower than it.
Anyway...it's included into the Rhino package and it's better than nothing :)

Ciao :)