MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI3D on Surface Pro 4 tablet is a little challenging

27 Jun 2018   [#1]
Hello,

Absolutely in love with MOI3d on my desktop computer - on the surface 4 Tablet I am running into some issues. Maybe someone has some insight regarding how to work around it or perhaps there is something i'm overlooking.

The Surface 4 pro screen is HiDPI so points, lines and other geometry are hairline small. It makes connecting, even snapping to points a massive challenge. I have to get within fractions of a mm to get points to snap. Selecting edges when the area that they will register touch input with the pen can also be exhausting. Is there a way to force a larger scaling in points and lines? My desktop machines are 4k and 5K - which is higher resolution than the surface 4 Pro but the lines and points are still a reasonable size. This is probably due to some configuration on the Surface 4 Pro. Maybe someone has encountered this and figured out a solution.

Also lasty - Love the support for multi touch but is there a way to disable rotation on non 3D - orthographic views? It sometimes makes lining up elements hard when everything gets rotated on top/bottom, left/right, front/back views.

Thank you!

Jordan Wright,
www.insidejobfilms.com
27 Jun 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
OK problem solved on the scaling of the points and lines :)

Hopefully There is a solution on multi-touch. Pinch to zoom is awesome. The rotation is something i'm struggling with is it also slightly rotates when i'm attempting to zoom only.

Thank you!
27 Jun 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Jordan, so for snapping you'll need to modify the setting under Options > Snaps > Object snap options > "Snap radius". That's how close you have to be in pixels for a snap to engage. The default is 15 pixels maybe double that for your high density SP4.

Also on that same settings page under "Straight snap options" are 2 other pixel distance settings "Activate distance" and "Keep active distance". You'll probably want to double those as well to make straight snap engage more easily too.

For selection there isn't currently any way set up to modify that distance but I'll see about adding that in.

You can change the thickness of the line display in moi.ini under LineWidth=1.0 and you can also do it using script by typing the tab key to put focus in the XYZ input then type moi.view.lineWidth=2.0 and push enter. That makes it a little easier to experiment with some different values.

A couple other sizes you may want to set in moi.ini are: [View] EditFrameGripPixelSize=24 (new for last v4 beta) and [View] AxisIconPixelSize=30

Maybe I should introduce a kind of "Pixel scale" setting that would be used as a scale factor to multiply all these other related settings so you could just modify one thing, that's kind of how it works on the Mac already.

re:
> Also lasty - Love the support for multi touch but is there a way to disable rotation on non 3D - orthographic views?

Yes, I think the setting under Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > MultiTouch options > "Rotate ortho views" will do that. By default it should be off though, did you happen to turn it on at one point? Let me know if that is not working as expected.

- Michael