MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Wedding ring

22 Jun 2018   [#1]
Hi
Having recently married, I have been toying with the idea of designing our wedding rings in moi and having them printed. I have absolutely no experience of doing anything like this so thought I would ask you nice people for advice. If that advice is "just go to a shop like a normal person" that's fine too.
Best wishes
Keith
22 Jun 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hello Keith,

Google: yt gold casting pla printing!

Good luck
Karsten
22 Jun 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Keith, congratulations!! :)

I'd recommend to get in touch with Ed Ferguson this is his web site:
http://www.cascadiadesignstudio.com/

His specialty is wedding rings and he uses MoI a lot as well, maybe he can set up something for you where you send some geometry to him and he could incorporate it into a ring without you needing to learn all the details about what's going to work and what's going to be problematic.

- Michael
22 Jun 2018   [#4]
Maybe this tutorial ?

http://k4icy.50webs.com/tutorials/Bird_Cage_Ring.html
24 Jun 2018   [#5]
Well, it's not easy to answer without more explain of your needing.

Designing a simple ring with MOI is very easy. You have to create a profile and revolve it.
But now, if you want add letters or shapes on a simple ring, you have to play with flow function.
If you want modulate the size of profile you can do it with lofting and sweeping functions with rails.

For printing rings, you can use an online 3D printing service like scupteo, shapeways...
For doing it, you upload your model (usually STL or OBJ files) on the website and doing choice for metal you want and its finishing (raw, polished, mirror polished, brushed...)
I use (and abuse) those services for pendants. I used it only one time to do a ring and result is pretty cool. It was long ago, and it was one of my first tests.
It wasn't with MOI and the result is little faceted because designed with a poly CAD software with no experience...
Those websites have great tools to test if your product would be well printed and have fast renderer to have a idea of the result. Fast render but not best render...

You have to know some constraints :
1/ Each metal, each finishing and each website could have different constraints, but usually it's near with minimum like "nothing less than 0.8 mm".

2/ 3D online printing services could be used for only one metal for each object. for exemple, no yellow and white gold together.
Now you can do pieces of different metals with those services, and next you can adjust their together but this is more difficult if you don't have jewellry tools.

3/ The process can result on a ring with little difference of size due to polishing, metal retractation...
For rings, usually, you can next adjust it +/- sizes. shops could do it easy, or a small tool about 15$ can help you.

4/ Verify the content of gold. I seen for 14k white gold, nickel usage. Nickel could be allergetic. Use better 18k gold or 14k yellow.
24 Jun 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks Phiro
I didn't ask the right questions because I didn't know what to ask. Your answer is very helpful.
Many thanks
29 Jun 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Keith,

Congratulations on your recent nuptials.

My wedding ring resides in the top drawer of my dresser, but you have got me thinking, that perhaps I might be more inclined to wearing one, if it was my own design. Inspired by Alberto's recent jewellery box node file: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7777.1138 as an exercise I cobbled together a node circuit to generate this ring.

All the best,
James

Image Attachments:
ring.jpg 

30 Jun 2018   [#8] In reply to [#1]
Hi Keith

Model the rings in Moi (state of the art) software
Upload to shapeways.com and have them printed in whatever material you wish to have (even metal coat)

I’ve used this service many times and its flawless :)

Good luck and congrats!

/Stardust

*Michael for Nobel Prize*