MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Mod for proportion and angles preservation in 3D view.

17 Jun 2018   [#1]
Hello

I wrote a shader that transforms linear perspective into stereographic, which preserves proportion and angles of displayed objects.
Simply speaking objects at the edges of the screen maintain their proportions, no matter the camera view angle.
More about stereographic projection can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection

Before:

It is an answer to a common problem in 3D graphics, distortions aberration, that prohibit designers from maintenance of proportions. As model moved to the corner of the screen changes its width-height ratio.
Correction effect is implemented through ReShade DirectX injector https://reshade.me/
Additionally I added Screen Space Anti-Aliasing that smooths out solid and surface geometry.

To configure the effect, open "Perfect Perspective AA.ini" in text editor and edit line "FOV=" to match your in-app view settings. FOV refers to the shortest side of the viewport, so for normal landscape mode the angle represents vertical field of view.

If developers of MoI 3D would like to implement this into the software, please contact me on priv.

For some guideline on FOV settings check this:

To install the mod, simply unpack the archive "MoI 3.0 ReShade files.zip" to you MoI location (C:\Program Files (x86)\MoI 3.0). There is also ReShade.bat script that toggles the effect ON and OFF.

Attachments:
MoI 3.0 ReShade files.zip

Image Attachments:
cosmic_distance.jpg  file view stereographic.jpg  settings view stereographic.jpg  top view linear.jpg  top view stereographic.jpg 

17 Jun 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Interesting work Fubax, thanks for sharing it!

- Michael
28 Jun 2018   [#3]
This looks really great, Fubax. Does it work on Mac installations of MoI? Will it be compatible with V.4?
2 Jul 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thank you Mark.
Unfortunately it works only on Windows version of MoI, as its implementation is more a hack than modification.
It uses Pixel shader, that warps the image, but I developed geometric version that has lossless quality.
Would be glad if it was implemented into V.4 as an option, but that requires will of the developers, which could come from the interest of the users.