MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: OpenGL is deprecated in 10.14 Mojave

Show messages: All  1-4  5-10

6 Jun 2018   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Wow thats great news. Michael it seems once again you have made the right move :)
Driven by the Apple announcements I suspect bgfx ought to get a few page hits.

>I am myself far more worried if they give up on Intel CPUs and try to switch to ARM only

Oh I Remember when Apple's transition from the PowerPC architecture to Intel processors, Wasn't That Fun?

Image Attachments:
bgfx.jpg 

6 Jun 2018   [#6]
Hi,

Marco, good points! I'm a Mac user, and OpenGL and OpenCL support for MacOS has been relatively crappy for years now.

Michael, I'm pleased to read that BGFX also supports Metal. I have to say that my non-developer impression of Metal is quite positive, especially the new version 2. My experience with Metal comes from the free AMD Radeon ProRender renderer which is compatible with multiple 3D editors, including Blender, Maya and Cinema 4D. Since they recently decided to switch to Metal 2 for MacOS, it renders blazingly fast on my AMD GPU.

More about Radeon ProRender can be found here:
https://pro.radeon.com/en/software/prorender/
6 Jun 2018   [#7]
It's not my play field but seems MoltenVK permit to use Metal on other OS !
(Open source and free! ;)

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK
6 Jun 2018   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Hi yannada,

> Wow thats great news. Michael it seems once again you have made the right move :)

Yup, it has definitely turned out to be the right choice. I wasn't sure at first because it's very much focused on games. But with some relatively minor changes it's been great.

I already knew I needed to be able to target different system APIs because OpenGL is not a good choice for Windows due to poor quality drivers being very common.

> Driven by the Apple announcements I suspect bgfx ought to get a few page hits.

Yup, probably. It has already been gaining a lot of momentum in the indie game dev community.

- Michael
6 Jun 2018   [#9] In reply to [#7]
Hi Pilou,

> It's not my play field but seems MoltenVK permit to use Metal on other OS !
> (Open source and free! ;)
>
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK

Actually no that's not for running Metal on another OS, it's for using another API called Vulkan on Mac.

Vulkan is a new API that is in some ways a kind of successor to OpenGL in that it's meant to be cross platform. It's very new though and drivers don't seem to have reached maturity yet. Another big hole was no Vulkan implementation on Mac/iPhone but that's what MoltenVK is meant to fill in.

It might be a good choice like 10 years from now but it's difficult to reach the same level of driver quality on Windows as Direct3D has.

- Michael
7 Jun 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Thanks for the precisions!

Show messages: All  1-4  5-10