MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Bugatti car in MOI and Modo: A short guide

30 May 2018   [#1]
Hi everyone. This is an alternative solution to modelling a car, using both NURBS and subdivisions.

It started life with a blueprint. I should mention to first-time car modellers that most images you find on the internet (such as the one I used) are not actual blueprints, but rather simple illustrations that are not accurate at all. You'll have to trust your eye on additional real car photos and even then perspective distortion can make an object look very different from reality. So gather lots of material from every possible angle to study the surface shapes.

I started by cropping each of the 4 images, engaging only the body and excluding the wheels. After the last image is cropped, you'll be left with slightly different dimensions in all images. I decided to keep the side image's length and height and the top image's width and resize the rest of the images. An additional step is to
rotate the top view 90 degrees counter-clockwise. This will help with placement inside MOI.

Now write down these 3 dimensions, fire up MOI and create a box with these exact dimensions, centered at the origin. Be sure to uncheck the "Maintain proportions" checkbox. This box is probably going to be huge, so scale it down by what factor you feel comfortable with so that it fits inside the grid.
Import the 4 images and align them to the box as pictured. Choose "Show in ortho only" and put in some transparency to help your curves stand out.

Next it's time to start creating some curves. The following screenshot may look like a spider's web, but is actually simpler than it seems. Some curves were used to create the actual surfaces, some were used for trimming and some were just helper curves to help visualize the volume. Also, some additional curves were created to make extended surfaces and were then discarded when those surfaces were finally trimmed.

The trick has been told for years in this forum (and I'm guilty of not following every time) that it's better to make an extended surface and then trim it. The hood of this car was done this way.

Other simpler surfaces were made by directly drawing curves at the surface boundaries. The network command was used for almost the whole model. Here's what it looked like when all panels were created, along with some trim curves that were later used in Modo to locate the various car elements. I should mention that I did almost each panel separately, with the exception of the front fender and door, which have a physical flow. This way there's no need to do cuts between the panels later.

At this point, I now regret not giving attention to some details. I left out some parts un-modeled and didn't tweak some surfaces which were obviously wrong, thinking that I would model them better in Modo. It actually made my life harder, because while the re-topology process was a walk in the park, the rest of the stuff took some serious time to do! In the end I re-did some parts again in MOI, like the door handle, headlights assembly, mirror and the gas door.
I then exported a fairly dense mesh to Modo with these settings.

Inside Modo the topology tools are like painting polygons over the underlying mesh. It's that easy! It was only the surfaces that I didn't took care of that needed to be tweaked. To better describe this workflow, it's like having a 3D blueprint which if it was done right, you can follow it with your eyes closed.

Half of the panels done.

After some sweat it was finally finished.

At that point I added some further details like the badges, tweaked some vertices and started the rendering process in keyshot. Overall it's a descent process that combines all goods of NURBS and subdivision modelling, but I now feel confident that staying all inside MOI would be even better. I slowly starting to think that there isn't a thing that can't be modeled in MOI just as easy as in polygons and I actually prefer the accuracy and control of NURBS.

Sorry for the long text, I thought I'd share all my thoughts thinking that should help a beginner decide if this workflow worth.

Image Attachments:
final_test2.100.jpg  final_test2.91.jpg  final_test2.92.jpg  final_test2.93.jpg  final_test2.95.jpg  final_test2.96.jpg  final_test2.97.jpg  final_test2.98.jpg  final_test2.99.jpg  sh0.jpg  sh01.jpg  sh02.jpg  sh1.jpg  sh3.jpg  sh4.jpg  sh6.jpg  sh7.jpg  sh9.jpg 

30 May 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Great work immortalx, thanks for sharing your process!

- Michael
30 May 2018   [#3]
Cool result!
31 May 2018   [#4]
Thanks a lot guys!
31 May 2018   [#5]
Nice modeling car looks awesome!
1 Jun 2018   [#6]
Excellent, thanks immortalx !!!
2 Jun 2018   [#7]
Thanks for the kind words guys! Although I find a new mistake every time I see it again :p
I wonder how the masters of MOI in this forum have the patience to do that last 20% right, which takes 80% of the whole damn process!
2 Jun 2018   [#8]
Excellent work immortalx!

I am not not seeing 20% that needs more work. It looks 100% correct to me. But I have never seen a Bugatti Chiron in person :)

Nice to see you also use Keyshot. I have been a user from the time it was released.

Ed Ferguson
3 Jun 2018   [#9]
Thanks a lot Ed! I still remember your flawless concept car which was definitely an inspiration to start doing cars in MOI.
Yes Keyshot really rocks. So easy to get acceptable results without much sweat!
3 Jun 2018   [#10] In reply to [#1]
Wow - that's amazing work!
5 Jun 2018   [#11]
Thanks for the nice words man!