MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI and SOLIDWORKS exchage files

26 May 2018   [#1]
Hi Michael,

Currently working on project in conjunction with Solidworks is it possible to change the default modelling environment axis values so it matches Solidworks Y up state?
26 May 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Alex, you can change the axis labels to whatever you wish using Options > View > Axis labels. That will change what is displayed on screen and how typed in numeric coordinates are interpreted but will not change how data is actually stored in files.

For importing from SolidWorks into MoI, there is an option you can set in moi.ini:

[NURBS Import]
RotateYUpToZUp=y

If you set that, it should translate from Y up into Z up in MoI when you open a STEP file that was exported from SolidWorks.

If SolidWorks still supports opening 3DM format you might use that for going the other direction.

- Michael
27 May 2018   [#3]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for that I have changed the axis values but as you note (but will not change how data is actually stored in files) the file moving across into SW orientation is still flipped. Under SW2018 the new file exchange feature allows importing referenced files. Which means moi can be used as a modelling companion to SW and still keep the original file for editing and updating rather than just an straight import. I have changed the Nurbs Import and via a STEP import from SW>MOI orientation is correct. Is there no other way to correct the orientation to go from MOI>SW?

thanks again.

Image Attachments:
orientation.JPG 

27 May 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Alex,

> Is there no other way to correct the orientation to go from MOI>SW?

Does SolidWorks have a .3dm importer?

Currently there isn't any export equivalent of the [NURBS Import] RotateYUpToZUp=y , but I will see about adding it for the next v4 beta. There are other improvements to STEP/IGES/SAT format handling also coming for the next v4 beta as well.

- Michael
27 May 2018   [#5]
Hi Michael,

Not imported the RHINO 3dm is opened directly and keeps a reference. ( and no options in SW for flipping axis ) As I have MOI as my default for handling 3dm files the files open in MOI make an edit and it updates automatically in SW very good feature.

Just the axis difference which has plagued both programs working together for as long as I have used SW and Rhino over 15 years. Any thoughts or improvements in this flow would be highly welcomed.

thanks again.

27 May 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Alex, hmmm - since Rhino uses Z-up I would have thought that SW's 3DM support would take that into consideration and rotate it for you. It seems like something they should have added at that integration point.

- Michael
27 May 2018   [#7]
I would of thought so also - considering its a well documented problem in the SW forums add new features but fail to fix simple old workflow problems. So even though I have changed the axis values in MOI when it saves the file it still saves with the native 3dm axis values? If I rotate my model in MOI or RHINO so that TOP=Front and FRONT=Top then the models orientation is correct in SW. Is there a way to change these defaults in MOI?

Image Attachments:
CORRECT VIEW IN SW with cylinder up.JPG 

27 May 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Alex,

> So even though I have changed the axis values in MOI when it saves the file it still
> saves with the native 3dm axis values?

Yes that's correct, those just change things at the interface level so you can use whatever coordinate axis labels and text inputs you want while not breaking file transfer to other apps like Rhino for example.

> If I rotate my model in MOI or RHINO so that TOP=Front and FRONT=Top then the models
> orientation is correct in SW. Is there a way to change these defaults in MOI?

Sorry no there isn't - and there isn't any way in a .3dm file that I'm aware of to declare a different up orientation.

It's just expected that the .3dm file contains data in z-up orientation, so I'd think the proper thing to do if SW needs it differently than that would be for their 3DM importer to translate it into what they need.

- Michael
27 May 2018   [#9]
thanks again for your help always on the mark how SW offers these new features and not bake them fully resolved baffles me. I have raised this in the SW forum numerous times over the years and always get a convoluted workflow to something you would expect to be resolved a simple flip.

anyways keep up the good work with MOI.
regards
Alex.
28 May 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Did you try looking at a custom cplane and see if SW reads that from the reference?
28 May 2018   [#11]
Thanks BurrMan - sometimes the simplest of methods solves the problem - that works a treat - That now places MOI as a seamless modelling companion to SW absolutely fantastic!

Image Attachments:
integration.jpg 

29 May 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Ahh, so cool! SolidWorks LOVES cplanes! Remember you can set a "template file" with the MoI ini file, to always have the cplane on startup....

But it sounds like Michael may be able to tweak that functionality in the future to eliminate the hoop!

Anyway......

[Edit]

Just to be sure.... the custom cplane is set in MoI, correct? (Not from within SolidWorks)
29 May 2018   [#13] In reply to [#10]
Great idea Burr, that's cool it works!

- Michael
29 May 2018   [#14]
It really is great new feature SW is a powerhouse especially in its documentation you cant beat its drawings sheets. Its modelling and assemblies solid and rigid but that makes conceptual development and problem solving slow bring in the gazelle of cad like MOI into the mix and you can develop a design fast once the frame work is set move into SW for final detailing and documentation while still able to advance your parent framework. The only thing missing is object names once again SW seemed to have added a new feature without baking to highest degree but I will take that up in the SW forums.

Thanks again BurrMan and Michael.