MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Projected Vectors and Extrusions

18 May 2018   [#1]
Hey, Been trying to get this to work...had my vector images "projected" to a curved surface which worked out great but every time I extrude, my result is only the vectors extrude and create faces. I need solids in order to print, I have attached an image of what I have at present and also created a circle that has been extruded as an example of what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Image Attachments:
cuff.jpg 

18 May 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bill, when you extrude curves you'll only get end caps on the extrusions if the curves are planar, which yours there aren't.

To get an end cap for your case there, use the Edit > Trim command to cut the face into multiple faces which you can do with the original 2D curve as the cutting object since Trim has projection built in. Then instead of extruding the curves, select a face and extrude that. When you extrude a surface it will be able to get an end cap by copying the surface to the end.

Then you'd need to delete the bottom pieces and use Edit > Join to glue the pieces together.

Or another way is after you trim, do a join then before you extrude the face - when extruding a face that is part of a solid it's automatically boolean unioned to the solid so there's less cleanup.

I am planning on making this type of thing built into Extrude as well.

- Michael
18 May 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bill, also see here for a demo with some images:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3024.4

- Michael
19 May 2018   [#4]
Thank you michael, I am going to give this a try and let you know what I come up with...Thanks again!