MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 beta May-12-2018 available now

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-51  52-60

14 May 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Thanks Michael for this new version.
14 May 2018   [#13]
VERY nice!
just opened the new beta -> all customscripts are working and even the customUI is just there.. no more hassle with different betas like promised
And it runs fine on my iMac 5k (AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB).
I'm really looking forward for the NEW things you will implement..

Thank you Michael!
14 May 2018   [#14] In reply to [#11]
Perfect - thank you, Michael
-moritz

Image Attachments:
moi_perfect.png 

14 May 2018   [#15] In reply to [#1]
Congratulations on the major accomplishment Michael!

Will try it soon.

Marc
15 May 2018   [#16] In reply to [#1]
Great work ! Thank you !

If you're looking for an idea for new feature, i've got a great one : Export as OpenSubdiv !

That means quads not tris, and nice shaped polys around booleans, so Turbosmooth / openSubdiv can work in polys 3D programs...

I'm quite sure it is impossible, but hey, you are the clever guy, i'm only the user one ;-)

Best regards
15 May 2018   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi naxos, that is something I'd like to work on in the future but it will involve a much different type of mesh generation than the current method. I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on that.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Which new feature will be the next you working on...
Just meddlesomely... ;-}
15 May 2018   [#19]
Hi Michael,

I can confirm that that special characters OBJ export BUG is fixed.
I tested on heavy model full of those (i reported you only single layer to have smaller test case) and all worked fine, export was quick and model is readable in LW, modo, MAX, no errors :).

Thanks
15 May 2018   [#20] In reply to [#17]
That would be the Holy Grail for modellers worldwide : precise modeling, booleans that works, so as chamfers, and to be able to open in a mainstream 3D software for animation, and so on...

As a nice quad-meshed polyset, ready for smoothing...

Nice quad meshes like those :
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bVzfndz-vPQ/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sh-pwCQMQEs/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/5a/4c/895a4c75ba28d1015efd3f9a70d3bb66.jpg
15 May 2018   [#21] In reply to [#17]
Great to hear you have reach this milestone and finally going into new features! I am looking forward to it for sure.

Would be cool to see a list of what is planned for features. I know there was a lot of talks about it before but plans were also changing along the road so, as far as i know, there is still nothing set in stone, so to say. Perhaps now at this point there is?

My suggestion is the same one i already mentioned hundred times and see people asking (and complaining about) hundred times more > better and robust fillets. Fusion360 like fillets flexibility would be dream come true for me. I know, though, it's not that easy so just a remainder. ;)

Best
15 May 2018   [#22]
thanks for the update,

I haven't had the chance to test the other features, but the Mac display bug ist still unchanged, still jaggy jumpy...

cheers from cologne

t.
15 May 2018   [#23] In reply to [#20]
Hi naxos,

re:
> As a nice quad-meshed polyset, ready for smoothing...
>
> Nice quad meshes like those :

Actually I'm kind of confused by these examples because they all look like things where you'd just put fillets on them in NURBS and then I don't know why you would want to apply additional sub-d smoothing in addition to the fillets.

They all seem to be examples that are so much easier to do in NURBS rather than sub-d.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#24] In reply to [#22]
Hi torsten,

re:
> I haven't had the chance to test the other features, but the Mac display bug ist
> still unchanged, still jaggy jumpy...

Can you please e-mail me at moi@moi3d.com and also send your system specs?

I'd like to send you a couple of test builds to see about solving this problem.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#25] In reply to [#18]
Hi Ralf,

> Which new feature will be the next you working on...
> Just meddlesomely... ;-}

I'll probably be trying a few experimental ideas, but I'm not sure if they will work or not.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#26] In reply to [#21]
Hi klaudio,

re:
> Would be cool to see a list of what is planned for features. I know there was a lot
> of talks about it before but plans were also changing along the road so, as far as
> i know, there is still nothing set in stone, so to say. Perhaps now at this point there is?

Sorry no still nothing set in stone. I don't really like to work that way too much. It's probably a good time to try some experimental things which may or may not amount to anything.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#27]
I wanted to highlight a problem with the import of a STEP file once imported into Moi all the objects are grouped in the center, with FreeCAD there are no problems. this is also present in version 3. Last thing the STEP files are not assigned colors or layers.

https://grabcad.com/library/raspberry-pi-3-b-1

Image Attachments:
fc_rb.png  moi_rb.png 

15 May 2018   [#28] In reply to [#1]
Ciao Michael!

Thanks a lot again for this latest "crucial" beta!

Well done!

With that said...

Since (soon) you will be able to put your hands on new things, you'll forgive me if I remember you the other two "basement" of which we talked about on this forum, when you first announced V4.

That is, (1) INSTANCING and (2) GROUPING.

Two fundamental things that we can't miss.

I hope that soon you will put your hands on these things along with a new "display and mesh engine" that can leverage on the power of the modern GPU.

Thanks.
15 May 2018   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Marco, my plans have changed since that time - I'm no longer sure about getting grouping and instancing into v4 at this time. It kind of depends on how difficult they are to implement, there is a possibility that they may require changes to many commands and I'm not too excited about something that requires lots of changes at this time.

Performance work to better use powerful cards with lots of VRAM is probably pretty soon though.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#30] In reply to [#27]
Hi pafurijaz, that looks like instancing transformations not being read correctly. There is an updated version available of the library MoI uses for STEP, IGES, and SAT importing. I'll see what's involved in updating to use that it may be fixed there.

- Michael
15 May 2018   [#31] In reply to [#1]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the new release. Unfortunately there's still the issues with Fedora Linux that it's not possible to properly select objects.
(see http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8839.1)

This is with "GraphicsAPI=OpenGL". When applying "GraphicsAPI=Direct3D", instead, then it's not possible to select any objects at all.

Please let me know if I can do any further testing.

best regards

Bernhard

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-51  52-60