MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Installing MoI3D 4.0 beta on (Solus) Linux?

3 May 2018   [#1]
Hello Michael,

how can I install MoI3D 4.0 beta on (Solus) Linux - I assume using the Mac version somehow?

Don't forget about us Linux users. I use MoI3D for "real" product development and as most (in my case ALL) engineering development and simulation cfd, fem... software runs on Linux I need the design software to run on Linux too. I managed the installation with the last versions but can't work out how to install the new version as some of the tools I used last time support only 32bit.

Of course my system is all 64bit so your upgrade is most wellcome we just need to work out the installation procedure.

skipper
3 May 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi skipper, I'm sorry but MoI does not support Linux directly. What you'd need to do to try and run it there though is to get a current 64-bit build of Wine going, then you can experiment with installing the MoI v4 Windows version there, not the Mac version.

There are some glitches currently with some video drivers, I'm planning on doing some experimentation to see if I can minimize those or not.

- Michael
4 May 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi, I do not know Solus, but you can use the 64 bit version by installing WineHQ, and install Wine Theme "luna.msstyles, for better view. But for example it does not work with NVIDIA, but it does very well with Intel's integrated graphics card.
4 May 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi,

do you know how to install/enable Direct3D 9 support for wine?

skipper

Image Attachments:
wine_error_Direct3D_9.png 

4 May 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Here is a tutorial
https://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html

simple command, but is better if you follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx

wine directx_9c_redist.exe
4 May 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
After found this for you, now I have to try this on system with Nvidia cards, I'm not sure if is intalled the direct x on my systems.
4 May 2018   [#7] In reply to [#4]
Hi skipper, Direct3D9 should be built in to Wine, if it's unable to be initialized it probably means that Wine is not recognizing your video card and isn't able to handle hardware accelerated 3D. Installing Direct3D9 separately was only something you had to do for the Windows 2000 OS.

It's probably what was reported here, where your video driver doesn't support 32-bit programs anymore:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8839.1

But you'd only encounter that with MoI v3, not v4. MoI v4 doesn't use Direct3D9 anymore, on Windows it uses Direct3D11 and on Mac or when running on Wine it uses OpenGL.

- Michael
5 May 2018   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael,

actually it's really simple to install MoI 4.0 on Solus Linux Gnome edition

1: Install wine from the Solus repository (currently version 3.7)

2: Open a terminal and install MoI 4.0 as if dealing with a msi package using the following:

wine start moi_v4_beta_Feb-9-2018_setup.exe

("start" makes the difference and triggers the installation and the download of something required)

3: During the installation process, enter the license key and select the option for a desktop icon too

4: Start Moi3D v4 by clicking on the desktop icon and enter the license key again

MoI 4.0 runs like a native application!

Great job Michael! Thank you!

skipper

Image Attachments:
MoI_4.0_on_Solus.png  MoI_4.0_on_Solus_2.png  MoI_4.0_on_Solus_3.png 

5 May 2018   [#9] In reply to [#8]
That's great skipper, I'm glad it's working for you!

- Michael
12 May 2018   [#10] In reply to [#8]
Hi skipper,

Can you please tell which graphics card you are using?

TIA and best regards

Bernhard
15 May 2018   [#11] In reply to [#2]
>> Hi skipper, I'm sorry but MoI does not support Linux directly. <<

This is very disheartening :(
15 May 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Sebastian,

> This is very disheartening :(

Yes, unfortunately there are several things that make it pretty difficult and I would expect quite time consuming for me to attempt. But have you tried running with Wine though?

- Michael
25 Aug 2018   [#13] In reply to [#8]
Hi skipper,

I'm a linux noob runing Solus Budgie, and I'm stuck to the point 2) of your guide.
I have installed wine from the software centre (win 3.14 - Wine compatibility layer for Windows emulation) ... do I have to install something else ?

Because "wine start" from the terminal returns a command not found error :S
26 Aug 2018   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Ok, well I have V4 running on Ubuntu (18.04.1 LTS), using WInHQ (https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu).
All I had to do is to open the .exe installer with the wineloader. (open with...)

It's actually running very well, step loader is multi-threaded, but maybe a little bit slower than native windows (I have to do precise test about this).
Selections are fine, I'm using an old GTX260, with the default Ubuntu driver (Nouveau display driver(open source)).

I need to see if this driver is working fine with Houdini, compared to the proprietary Nvidia one.

Thanks Michael to make that happens !