MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet midpoint

24 Apr 2018   [#1]
Hi guys,

I noticed when I try to fillet an edge MOI it will not allow a radius that is half of the length of an edge. In Rhino, no issue.

Example attached. 19.0mm X 25.0mm rectangle.

-Rhino - I can input a fillet radius of 8...gives me a nice single midpoint at 8.0mm (center point) from which the radius begins.
-MOI - "Calculation failed" with a fillet input of 8. I have to input a radius 7.9....resulting in 2 side midpoints from the actual center point. 7.99 also 2 midpoints.

Is there a setting somewhere in MOI to adjust this?

Thx,

M

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 12.28.04 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 12.28.46 PM.png 

24 Apr 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi mat, sorry no there's no setting to allow that in MoI - that kind of case where some face gets completely consumed by the fillet is not handled well by the geometry library that MoI currently uses for filleting.

So that kind of fillet won't work in MoI, you would need to do it in a different CAD program or take a different approach like build it in to your curve structure instead of using filleting to do it.

- Michael
25 Apr 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

I found the arc tool works for creating that single midpoint. Just extra sets in my work flow.

Might we see this filleting update in V4? ;)

Thanks,

Mat
25 Apr 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Mat,

> Might we see this filleting update in V4? ;)

Unfortunately no that's not likely - it's a very complex area to deal with.

- Michael