MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet_Edge_not_working?

Show messages: All  1-18  19-20

4 May 2018   [#19] In reply to [#17]
Hi Bruno, I examined one of the fillet areas that isn't displaying in MoI and it appears to be related to poor surface quality with some degenerate spans in the filllet surface.

I looked at this particular surface that wasn't displaying well in MoI (I marked the spot with a line):

I brought that into Rhino and used the ConvertToBeziers command in Rhino on it:

Then moving the adjacent bezier surfaces away reveals a highly compressed degenerate bezier:

That's only something like 0.0000002 units across there. This highly compressed span confuses the MoI display mesher but it's only really a cosmetic issue, the export mesher is able to deal with it ok.

In order for the display mesher to work on it you'd need to get better quality fillet surfaces without those tiny spans in it. If it's only the display that's having a problem with it I'd recommend just ignoring that as a display artifact.

Were the fillets with display troubles created inside of MoI or elsewhere?

- Michael

Image Attachments:
bruno_degen_span1.jpg  bruno_degen_span2.jpg  bruno_degen_span3.jpg 

10 May 2018   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Michael ! I do not have to words to express my gratefulness towards you. The amount of time you took just to verify it its just amazing.
Few things:

1. You were right regarding the exporting settings to Modo: Triangles & Quads did much much better than N-Gons. I am experiencing a few artifacts in Modo, but fortunately Keyshot is not taking them in consideration, apparently.

2. The radius honestly I do not remember. I am almost sure did in Rhino. I have so so many files regarding this model and the try-outs that I am a little bit confused. Hopefully I will start to render today or tomorrow.

3. About the Bezier curve I am not sure if I understand it. I think I need to read you explanation a few times more. I am not sure why this model became so tricky. Summing it up this surfaces are rials coming from intersections between a rounded prism and planes. Then just two profile curves to generate the curves through the rials. I was not expecting that much hassle. I am aware this is not software related. I believe there is something tricky regarding the profile curves and the rials nature that make the calculation a little bit buggy.

I am expecting to find the way to re-generate this again with neater surfaces. I might change the profile curves to spheric sections and make a boolean. My friend and I just bought the CNC tip that will reshape the second prototype. We bought a semi-spheric tool tip in order to lower the cost and time of the cnc. I guess the next try-out will be booleans differences between a pipe and the cube. Hopefully that change will improve the quality?

Thanks thanks so much.

Show messages: All  1-18  19-20