MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: The MOI userbase

1 Apr 2018   [#1]
Hi Guys I just stumbled across MOI and it looks cool, but the userbase seems pretty small/quiet and development between versions a bit slow ( as an ancient LW user I'm used to that ).

How do you guys see MOI going forward? It's a bit pricey for me right now but maybe if there's a garage sale down the line.. ;-)

Is MOI on the up? I really struggled to find much about it that hasn't come from some years back.

Just trying to decide if the trial is worth looking at.

Paul
1 Apr 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi,

I can follow your question as the big 3D companies have a much more glamorous appearance and PR.
But donĀ“t get dazzled by it. If you take some time to dig into MOI you will realize that it is a jewel of a digital tool as easy and quick to use as very few with an excellent price / performance ratio.

>>Just trying to decide if the trial is worth looking at.<<

I would definitely encourage you to give it a try. I personally enjoy each modelling session with MOi due to its ZEN like simplicity allowing me to visualize my ideas almost in real time.

TOM
1 Apr 2018   [#3]
You can make some training with the free alternate version without save ;)
http://moi3d.com/download.htm
1 Apr 2018   [#4] In reply to [#2]
I think it's perhaps the lack of stuff online by users that makes me nervous. Most other software has a vibrant user community, busy forums but MOI seems quiet and a four year development cycle.

I think it's going to be too expensive for me right now unless I can buy someone's licence at a good deal.

I was just intrigued because what I did see online looks great.

Thank you.

Paul
1 Apr 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Paul ...
I will throw in an opinion here.
MoI is the best of its kind in my opinion and I have been a user for years. I am an architectural designer and I do as much of my design and modeling as possible with MoI as it has the best workflow I know of. Yes, I have to switch to other software for some things like dimensioning and rendering but it still makes my workflow as smooth as it can get.
AND the MoI forum is also the best ever. I don't have any knowledge about how big the user base actually is but you can get almost instantaneous feedback and good answers any time day or night.
It is the best software investment I ever made.
eric
1 Apr 2018   [#6] In reply to [#4]
"... I think it's perhaps the lack of stuff online by users that makes me nervous."

Not to worry. Have you looked at the MoI Gallery at the top of the page?

I see MoI referenced frequently in other forums that I visit, from 3D printing to jewelry design, to render forums. Most of those users don't participate in the MoI Forum.

I have a theory as to why: Many people only go to a forum when they need help. MoI doesn't have the complexity (or bugs) of the other complex software that is out there. It just works in most cases. And when it doesn't work it's usually because the user is trying to model an organic shape that is better suited to a SubD modeling program.

Yes the period between releases is longer than many. But they are generally bug free and stable. I subscribe to one program that has releases every 9 months or so, and it takes another 9 months to work the bugs out. Basically it never stabilizes unless you stay with a version from 18 months ago. You won't find that situation with MoI.

Try it - you'll like it.

Ed Ferguson
1 Apr 2018   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Paul, the next version is a pretty big transition to 64-bit and to a native Mac build. This has involved a major rewrite and so there has been a longer than normal gap between v3 and v4. V4 is being actively developed though and there is a beta release available to existing users. The last beta release was just 2 months ago, you can find the announcement right here on the forum titled "V4 beta Feb-9-2018 available now".

As far as the forum not being vibrant, I'm confused how you would reach that conclusion. Here on Sunday I see new replies in 8 threads and there are 8841 discussion threads total and I myself have posted 22608 messages. What volume does it have to reach for you to consider it to be vibrant?

It is true that MoI is a small scale operation, it's only one person (myself) working on it, I don't have any sales or marketing department here, and I personally don't like to do marketing myself. I rely on people spreading news of it by word of mouth and trying the demo version to see how they like it.

The overall goal of MoI is not to have a large user base that "corners the market" - it's to provide a different type of CAD program that's friendly for artists instead of only targeted at engineers.

If you don't like supporting small businesses and prefer something with slick marketing from a large corporation you should look elsewhere I guess.

- Michael
1 Apr 2018   [#8]
Hi Pauland,

I don't think there is any question thread on this forum that didn't received a useful reply, either by community members, or by Michael himself,
I can't say the same thing with many other community, where there is more noise than real help.

V4.0 is taking a little bit more developing time than previous versions, looks like the amount of work was huge for a single person.
Usually company would already have released an half working version, but that's not the way Michael is working, and honestly, I (we) appreciate that.

So yes, I think MoI is doing well as far as I know, and I suggest you judge by yourself with the trial version, learn and post questions, and then take your buying decision.
1 Apr 2018   [#9]
If anyone has a v3.0 licence they'd like to sell, let me know.

Thank you for all the affirment for the product and developer.
2 Apr 2018   [#10] In reply to [#4]
"Most other software has a vibrant user community"

Well I have to say I have rarely found such a quick and efficient online help than here. Where do you find a developer who will kindly write a little plugin within hours tailored to your needs without any additinal costs ? Just have a look how quick my last attempt to get help with a specific task was supported - and the gentleman who answered even offered an updated plugin / script.

Yes, MOI and its community is small. And its exactly this what makes it so efficient. Coming from Poly Modelling it took me a while to catch the spirit of MOI, but now I am a huge fan of this exceptional tool and its little but wonderful digital tribe of aficionados ;-)
2 Apr 2018   [#11] In reply to [#9]
If its about the price why dont you buy Version 2.0. Its 100.- less.
But most importantely : Giv it an extensive trial run, compare it to othersm then you will
know if MOI is a useful tool for you.
2 Apr 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Tom,

Yes the community is enthusiastic and overwhelmingly happy with the software.

The V2 suggestion may be an idea, but I don't see how it's possible to buy it.

Thank you.

Paul

Message 8891.13 was deleted

2 Apr 2018   [#14] In reply to [#12]
@pauland

I just purchased MoI today (Apr 2) after a month long trial. The trial time is really generous and I appreciate that. For me, MoI has features that other CAD/3D modelers lack. I also have paid licenses for Rhino3D as well as Maya.

1. The workflow, from creating curves, extruding, lofting and even object selection is very intuitive. For example, it's very simple to create multiple closed curves, then extrude them into multiple solids. Lots in common with rhino but easier to use with less clutter.

2. The export to OBJ creates very clean quads and triangle meshes. This is extremely important if your models are going to be used in real-time rendering. I have, in the past, wasted far too much time and money cleaning up crappy mesh exports from other packages.

3. Scripting - I see a lot of power here - hopefully we'll see more complete docs in the upcoming version (hint).

If you need a tool for work, MoI for $295 is a very good deal.
If for hobby use, there's always blender - which I cannot use because the UI completely fracks my brain every time I try it.

Jeff.
2 Apr 2018   [#15] In reply to [#12]
"The V2 suggestion may be an idea"

Yes, it was just an idea and suggestion to ask the maker of MOI if he would offer you V2
as you are on a tight budget.
2 Apr 2018   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Tom & Paul - sorry no I don't feel comfortable with selling v2 now. It's obsolete - it's not like v2 is just v3 with some missing features but everything else is the same - it's missing tons of improvements in operating system compatibility and bug fixes and lots of fundamental things like that. It's not something that I'm focused on supporting.

- Michael
3 Apr 2018   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Uups sorry Paul for eventually creating expectations, I am of course only a user and now hearing
the arguments of Michael I can follow why it was a bad idea ;-(
3 Apr 2018   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Tom, no harm done and I appreciate the suggestion.

I'm a software developer myself and I entirely understand why V2 is now not an option.

I've started watching some of the online videos - looking good.

Paul