MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Guitar neck and arch top methods

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-110  111-130  131-150  …  191-199

16 Apr 2018   [#71] In reply to [#64]
Hey Neil,

...notice that he's using "Network" for the car surfaces in those videos.

Very powerful tool.

M
16 Apr 2018   [#72] In reply to [#63]
Hey Neil,

That would be great to do a collaboration. I'll guess I"ll have to around to designing something now. ;)

Thx,

Mat
17 Apr 2018   [#73] In reply to [#71]
Hello Mat10x - Barry and you are super experienced with MOI - so far the models that I do look pretty good but still aren't solid when done - and often when trying Zarkow's scripts I end up with missing polygons and blocks missing from the face and end up staring over. Will keep at it - Barry made a terrific neck in one evening using Zarkow's scripts - as I'm sure you could as well. Just need to keep working on accuracy. Sometimes using "mirror" the mirrored parts aren't connecting - which must mean the drawing may not be symmetrical . . . sometimes I work on a neck for 4 or 5 hours only to end up deleting it. lol . . . great forum though - best forum I've been on so far. The program is amazing - you guys are really doing some fantastic things. Much thanks for the advice and suggestions.
17 Apr 2018   [#74] In reply to [#73]
Hi Neil,
are you working on the curves you posted ?
If so I will check what I modified to see if that helps.
I posted about the Karkow method where I used the nodeeditor
And James Retopo nod to produce the facets thus cutting out
having to do the iso lines,convert to polygon and loft manually.
I am getting some good results and some unexplained at the moment
but hope to better understand the process to get consistent results so it can be a useful tool.
Anyway keep persevering.
Barry
17 Apr 2018   [#75] In reply to [#74]
Thanks Barry! My attempts are improving but still not there. It's still hollow - so somewhere I'm not getting it right - although it says "joined" it's still hollow. When using Zarkows method on the neck transition while it smooths and curves it also distorts the corners - so there must be a way to avoid that the way Zarkow does - although guitar necks are a bit different from cars - it is a forgone conclusion that this project would be a minute steak for someone with Zarkows skill and tenacity. :) In your screen shots it looks as though you go way down onto the neck past the transition - where mine are concentrated on just the transition area. This example/version uses a straight/basic network on the heel and an attempt at Zarkows method on the headstock. The heel is good enough for milling - but the headstock transition is still not quite right - although better. Haven't been able to put the truss rod channel in because the neck is hollow. lol . . . To be honest - with regard to this neck - the best looking transition from the headstock is your first trim and blend example!

Thanks for the encouragement Barry! I won't give up. Definitely on the right track thanks to the great help in this awesome forum!

17 Apr 2018   [#76] In reply to [#67]
Thanks BurrMan - what a excellent friend you had - really enjoyed hearing about that!
17 Apr 2018   [#77] In reply to [#67]
Very interesting story about Nat Daniels Burr, he had his priorities right and maked some striking designs!

Marc
17 Apr 2018   [#78] In reply to [#35]
Hi Barry,

Just now looking at this one - could you explain how you managed to use fillet on this headstock? This looks as clean as your trim and blend version!

Thanks, Neil
17 Apr 2018   [#79] In reply to [#78]
Hi Neil,
attached photo's showing method.
Open my drawing and in browser show curves so you can use them.
Please note the head & base profiles have been rebuilt using the rebuild command.
This gives a continuous joined curve with only one seam line.
(You can have issues when filleting across seams and edges.)
To achieve this there can be no sharp corners so use a small fillet to remove them.
Also have you got the show naked edges script as this would help to see the areas
that are stopping the joined surface from becoming a solid.
Hope this helps.
Barry
17 Apr 2018   [#80] In reply to [#73]
Hey Neil,

As you learn MOI or 3D modeling in general it's crucial to learn the basics. If you can build basic forms from scratch...you'll excel at more complicated forms and surfaces.

Put the scripts aside for now....learn the manual methods first.

I think you'll find you'll be far more productive when you get the basics down...then add scripts to further your skills and/or accelerate work flow.

Keep at it.

Mat
17 Apr 2018   [#81] In reply to [#80]
@Mat : "...Put the scripts aside for now....learn the manual methods first. ..."

I totally agree with Mat!

If someone (me, you, anyone...) doesn't have the minimum experience with the foundation of Nurbs modelling (Moi or not Moi), scripts are useless and even detrimental.

Ciao :)

Marco (mkdm)
17 Apr 2018   [#82] In reply to [#81]
Very well will go over the tutorials and videos again using just basic commands.
17 Apr 2018   [#83] In reply to [#80]
No problem - I can continue working on basics in MOI.
17 Apr 2018   [#84] In reply to [#79]
Thanks Barry - the help is greatly appreciated - you and Michael have helped improve my drawings/models 10 fold.

Can I message you on my progress as I'm not going to post in this thread anymore? Going back to the first/original thread "Newbie learning the ins and outs of MOI."

Can't thank you enough for hanging in there with me while I learn. By the way - if you ever need anything milled let me know I'm happy to do it for you.

N

Here's a slightly rendered model I did in Fusion last month - I'm currently painting the actual guitar and will post it when it's done. The real guitar is ash with a Mary Kay white nitro finish with gold hardware - really pretty.

Image Attachments:
Rivchamberedfholefilleted1A.jpg 

17 Apr 2018   [#85] In reply to [#79]
Wow this is a big help - great screen shots - that's such an excellent method. Thanks I will post my version in "newbie learning the ins and outs of MOI"

Thanks again Barry!
18 Apr 2018   [#86] In reply to [#79]
Here is my attempt at the fillet method - started from scratch with this and used a new headstock design which kind of screwed up the mating of the lofted neck and headstock - but it's solid and good for a first try. Thanks Barry - will keep practicing this method - very clever indeed.

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (39).png 

18 Apr 2018   [#87] In reply to [#86]
Hello VEGASGUITARS.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't know which method did you use to build the model but that are issues as you can see :

Regards.
18 Apr 2018   [#88] In reply to [#87]
Thanks for pointing out that mistake.
18 Apr 2018   [#89] In reply to [#88]
Hi Neil,
Try moving the seam.
Barry
18 Apr 2018   [#90] In reply to [#89]
How's this one Barry? :)

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-110  111-130  131-150  …  191-199