MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Guitar neck and arch top methods

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-128  …  189-199

12 Apr 2018   [#49] In reply to [#47]
Yep, lots of practice...just like learning to play the guitar. ;) Always something new to learn in MOI...or guitar!

The forum here is a great resource. The guys here are incredibly helpful.

M
12 Apr 2018   [#50] In reply to [#46]
Yeah Neil,
The longhorn and a couple of the other full bodied ones...

I knew Nat. it WAS meant as a good comment.
12 Apr 2018   [#51] In reply to [#50]
To Burrman - Thank you sir!! Much appreciated.
12 Apr 2018   [#52] In reply to [#48]
Thank you Matt - will work on tightening things up. There are several snap to settings which is best for networking? What I mean is do you have Straight Snap, Grid Snap and Object snap all on or do you use only one or two?
13 Apr 2018   [#53] In reply to [#48]
Hello Mat10x,

Here is the CNC I just finished building - haven't wired it up yet hope to do that this weekend. It's a real tank. Also attached a few more rock oriented guitars I built over the years - sorry about the quality on some of the pictures and more importantly many thanks for your help and suggestions!

Image Attachments:
sands00.jpg 

13 Apr 2018   [#54] In reply to [#53]
Wow, that full mahogany one is awesome !
13 Apr 2018   [#55] In reply to [#52]
Hey Neil,

Yeah post up your neck when you have it rebuilt. Love to see how it turns out.

The 3 "snaps"...I use all 3...but for different needs. Make a simple cube or basic curves to build off of and play with all 3 snaps to see what they do and when you need them.

Snaps are not just for "network"...they're for building in general. Must have tools for keeping things aligned and properly positioned as you build.

M
13 Apr 2018   [#56] In reply to [#53]
Hey super nice Neil!

First and second image? Mahogany with Macassar fretboard? Love the contoured heel. No contouring on backside of the lower horn to match?

Not sure how I feel about the drop headstock though. Why no tilt back or just a straight headstock?

Might have to call you about doing a custom. Love to design a body, neck, headstock...and have some body route it for me.

Lookin' good!

M

Message 8883.57 was deleted

14 Apr 2018   [#58] In reply to [#57]
Just finished building my second CNC machine tonight - here's a first run "air cut" . . . had no issues - ran a 45 minute cycle without a hitch.
14 Apr 2018   [#59] In reply to [#58]
Hi Neil,
I have been playing with the network method and here's my latest attempt
using your drawing as a start.
I have done some trimming and blending to remove some of the crease lines
not sure if that's the best way but it looks Ok to me.
Have you looked at Zarkow video http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8845.5
I tried it on the neck network and looked promising.
Cheers
Barry

Attachments:
GH Network.7z

14 Apr 2018   [#60] In reply to [#59]
Hi Barry-H,

Man that looks terrific!! Will take a look at that video.

Thanks so much for the help - greatly appreciated.

N
15 Apr 2018   [#61] In reply to [#50]
So BurrMan - what was Nat Daniels like? Seems like a brilliant business person - I had a couple of his double cutaways as a kid. They were really fun guitars - and played great.
15 Apr 2018   [#62] In reply to [#54]
Thanks Marc!
15 Apr 2018   [#63] In reply to [#56]
Mat10x - if you want me to do some milling for you just let me know - always enjoy unique new projects.
15 Apr 2018   [#64] In reply to [#59]
The video describing car modeling is amazing - need to learn how to do that - it's advanced modeling for sure - but wow the results are outstanding. Downloaded the scripts now to practice . . . Zarkow is a master is he not? Man.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8845.5
15 Apr 2018   [#65] In reply to [#59]
Where is the reconstruct curve with polylines command that Zarkow uses? I can't seem to find it . . .
15 Apr 2018   [#66] In reply to [#65]
Hi Neil,

re:
> Where is the reconstruct curve with polylines command that Zarkow uses? I can't seem to find it . . .

I think it's this one here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ReconstructCurve

- Michael
15 Apr 2018   [#67] In reply to [#61]
Hey Neil,
"What was he like"

Great question to ask as that is what really set him apart. A couple things stand out for me.

He was generous in a way i had never seen and really stuck with me. He invited me to his house when i was having a rough time and put me to work. The unsusual part was how he shared his knowledge and abilities!

It isnt widely known he was friends with les paul. In his earlier days, they used to tinker and make electronics for themselves. Out of that cane many things that all of us "know"about, like les pauls "black box", but also many other things, like reverbs, tremolos, phasing devices, etc. He didnt have an intrest in "grabbing it for himself". At his house, he had several of these things still around and would show you, discuss how he made it, his thought process and trial and errors, and ask what "i thought"... perfectly ready to tinker, with me, just a kid...... wow!

So many people would think "he's really losing out"! A prevailing perception today! How Nat was wasnt lost on me. A good human...

He was also very knowledgeable. He was smart. But he didnt make that unatainable to someone who didnt know. He worked with me as an equal, even though i was just an uneducated kid. It opened alot for me.....

He was a great guy!
15 Apr 2018   [#68]
Hi Neil,
this is the result using Zarkow's method.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (1).png  Screenshot (2).png 

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-128  …  189-199