MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Guitar neck and arch top methods

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  …

4 Apr 2018   [#20]
Let's play! o:)
4 Apr 2018   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Yeah!! ;)

4 Apr 2018   [#22]
Thanks much for the positive comments, help and suggestions folks - really appreciate it!

Neil
6 Apr 2018   [#23]
Amazing necks Neil!

The flamed maple one is beautiful.

Marc
8 Apr 2018   [#24] In reply to [#23]
Been working on Barry's cool method suggestion with trim and blend and while not as good as Barry's am starting to get it a bit. The problem is material missing from the front profile of the neck - in my original drawing you can see the blue lines are the front of the headstock and the red the back - when using trim and blend we use the back profile which of course doesn't include all of the neck profile - just the back of the transition. I tried using the method with the front neck shape with no luck - not sure what I'm doing wrong. The file is attached. Thanks for any and all suggestions - in the mean time will try to combine the two shapes and see what happens.

8 Apr 2018   [#25] In reply to [#24]
This one almost there - but for some reason the heel would not fillet . . . perhaps because there isn't enough height . . .

8 Apr 2018   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Hi Neil,
Fillet the profile say 0.05 to remove the 2 sharp corners then try
using the Rebuild command on the profiles it will help with the fillet and the blend.
Also if the seam line is the way you can move it by lofting instead of extruding and moving
the seam points before pressing done.
Barry
9 Apr 2018   [#27]
Man those are some sweet necks! That figure on the maple is intense!

I used to build guitars too (with the help of Moi of course!). Here's some of mine:

Image Attachments:
P1110501.jpg  P1120287.jpg  P1130166.jpg  SAM_2009.jpg 

Message 8883.28 was deleted

9 Apr 2018   [#29] In reply to [#26]
Thanks for the help Barry - your suggestions have been incredibly helpful.
9 Apr 2018   [#30]
Wow Neil, your work is AMAZING!

I mostly did 2D profiles which I printed to build templates (I also did all work by hand). It's been a long time, but in the few 3D models I attempted to do, transitions were done with booleans mostly, since they work so well, and were only meant for illustration, thus I had no need to be exact.

Are you planning to do CNC work?
9 Apr 2018   [#31] In reply to [#30]
Thank you sir! Yes I own two small CNC machines and have done some milling of guitar bodies - mostly simple stuff like tele's but am hoping to do a lot more as I get better with MOI. The newest CNC machine is big enough for necks so am trying to get better in that area. Thanks for the tips. Barry has left some terrific advice using booleans - trim and blend commands in particular that have helped a lot - I just need to get better at it.
9 Apr 2018   [#32] In reply to [#27]
ImmortalX...is that blue Soloist-ish guitar have a half scalloped neck (G,B,E) from 15 to 24? I'd love to try that!

....niiiice.
9 Apr 2018   [#33] In reply to [#31]
Great looking guitars Neil!

I'd use specific curves for each style of volute you're trying to design rather than a general blend. With specific curves drawn to create the surfaces, you can control the dimensions for each volute/neck style...and/or player preferences, needs, etc.

Being a guitar player this is a great thread!

Mat
10 Apr 2018   [#34]
@mat10x

That's exactly what it is! It was a request from a friend whom I build this guitar for.
10 Apr 2018   [#35] In reply to [#31]
Hi Neil,
I have been trying to get a result with your posted model that matches the Blue Head profile.
The blend option didn't work so good so I modified your red Head profile and then ran the lofted
neck into it. Boolean union neck head and base. Filleted the neck to head with 1"radii.
The neck and base joint was filleted 0.14", this was so I maintained the base profile as Boolean
subtracting which cuts thro a larger fillet would affect the profile.
Cheers
Barry

Attachments:
GuitarHead Fillet Only.zip

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (107).png 

10 Apr 2018   [#36] In reply to [#35]
Hey Barry that is really looking fantastic. Sure do appreciate the help.
10 Apr 2018   [#37] In reply to [#33]
Michael showed how to use the network command - is that what you mean? The problem I had with that was getting the necks solid after building the faces. Apparently I need a lot more practice so that my geometry has no gaps anywhere..

10 Apr 2018   [#38] In reply to [#37]
Hi Neil,
Not sure if the question about network was for me ?
I haven’t used network in my attempts yet just blend and fillet.
The issue I see is the way the profile of the Head and base is
affected when the Boolean subtract goes thro a fillet.
With the simple method of blend or fillet it quite easy and quick.
Maybe not the best method if you wish to control the profile
of the back of the head and base.
Cheers
Barry
10 Apr 2018   [#39] In reply to [#37]
Hi Neil,
Came across this method on YouTube.
May have some use.
https://youtu.be/1kP546QJ_YQ
Barry

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  …