MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Guitar neck and arch top methods

Show messages:  1-20  …  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-199

26 Dec 2020   [#181] In reply to [#177]
Then probably the next steps would be to build these strips that rise up from the planar base level:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
neil_arch_top16.jpg 

26 Dec 2020   [#182] In reply to [#181]
Then it's going to get a bit tricky but maybe this kind of blend:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
neil_arch_top17.jpg  neil_arch_top18.jpg 

26 Dec 2020   [#183] In reply to [#182]
Fantastic - thanks Michael! This method looks much better than the patchwork. That's an excellent start to getting a handle on this. Have no experience yet with subD (although did download Rocket as you suggested). Thanks very much for the tips to get rolling. Here is another arch top from the same guy - not really crazy about this arch top - it's a bit too flat on the top. Tried to attach the file - but am out of space. If anyone want's it let me know. Really like the dimensions in V4.

Image Attachments:
Pstyle.jpg 

26 Dec 2020   [#184] In reply to [#183]
Hi Neil,

re:
> This method looks much better than the patchwork.

Well we'll probably arrive at some patch-by-patch filling in yet when coming inwards from the rounded tips.

But if helps if you can use as few surfaces as possible with extended areas that are trimmed rather than building every surface directly to some initial curve framework.

The other thing that's good about having a smaller number of surfaces is you can adjust the shape easier like with the steps above you can tweak the loft profile curves to control some subtle curving. When things are diced up into smaller pieces being filled in it becomes difficult to make a broad shape adjustment.

- Michael
26 Dec 2020   [#185] In reply to [#184]
Here's a method Barry came up with (using one of my flat top models) that uses the ideas Michael shared . . . the files Barry sent me are below and include the model and an animated .gif that shows how to do it. This is Barry's work.

Image Attachments:
Barryarchtop.jpg 

27 Dec 2020   [#186] In reply to [#185]
Thanks Barry - clever, interesting and fun method - took a few tries - but finally got it. Thank you for sharing. As you can see I have a couple bulges on either side - the original you made did not have them - not sure where I went wrong yet. Also, putting finishes this week on the two arch tops I milled from your models last year. It's fun to finally have the time to learn how you did it (recently hired a helper in the shop)! Now on to trying your methods with a different guitar from scratch - that should only take a few months if I'm lucky.
27 Dec 2020   [#187] In reply to [#186]
Hi Neil,
if the bulges are in the blend use the sync points in the blend command this will smooth them out.
Cheers
Barry
28 Dec 2020   [#188] In reply to [#187]
Thanks Barry - will work on that!

Message 8883.189 was deleted

18 Mar 2023   [#190] In reply to [#188]
Barry - here is another result of your help with the arch tops. Many thanks again for your help! Just finished this one. Walnut top, Sapele center block with Meranti wings. 25.75 scale.

Image Attachments:
Archtop.jpg  Starbird Elite 2 dmed.jpg  Starbird Elite 2med.jpg  StarbirdSH.jpg  Starird Elite 2 bmed.jpg 

18 Mar 2023   [#191]
Beautiful!
19 Mar 2023   [#192] In reply to [#190]
Hi Neil,
looks great hope business as picked up after pandemic.
Cheers
Barry
20 Mar 2023   [#193] In reply to [#191]
Thanks Frenchy Pilou!
20 Mar 2023   [#194] In reply to [#192]
Thanks Barry - things are OK. Looking to retire in the next couple years.
19 Jan   [#195]
I just recently built a 12 string guitar for the new guitarist in the Beach Boys - it was mostly done in 2D except for the arm and tummy contours. The body was made entirely in Moi3D and milled on the CNC machine. The neck shape was cut out and then made without using the CNC.
Although the guitar is the shape of a Fender Jazz Master - it is much different. The guitarist asked me for a guitar that looks like a Fender Jazzmaster. However, the original Beach Boys recordings feature 12 string guitars that were of a shorter scale length than a Jazzmaster and with humbucking pickups. So this guitar is a shorter scale length and features humbucking pickups - that look like Jazz Master pickups. The bridge is chrome over brass with strings through and all 12 of the saddles adjust completely so the guitar is perfectly in tune. The neck wood is quartered maple and the body is lightweight alder. When the wife and I went to see them in Chandler, AZ last year - they took us back stage to meet Mike Love and Bruce Johnston - and everybody complemented me on the sound of the guitar.

In the picture of people (taken backstage in Chandler, AZ) - John Wedemeyer (guitarist for the Beach Boys), my wife Susi, me, Mike Love, Faye Wiggins and Don Wiggins (head of support services at Fender).
Not a great video but here is a clip of the 12 string live in Carolina: https://youtu.be/kHP_4BrV7GE?feature=shared

I would like to thank everyone that helped me along the way learning Moi3D - I still have a lot to learn and look forward to spending some more time here. Again, many thanks for the advice and patience.

Image Attachments:
AtlanticCity91523.jpg  backstage1.jpg  BBJazz1.jpg  IMG_2245.jpg  IMG_3610.jpg  Wavecrest12a2.jpg  Wavecrest12incase2.jpg 

19 Jan   [#196] In reply to [#195]
Really cool work Neil!

- Michael
19 Jan   [#197] In reply to [#195]
Congrats VG.....
9 Feb   [#198] In reply to [#196]
Thank you Michael.
9 Feb   [#199] In reply to [#197]
Thank you BurrMan.

Show messages:  1-20  …  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-199