MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to handle filets when changing a model later

13 Mar 2018   [#1]
Hi,

I have one recurring problem with models I create for friends (for 3D printing). Usually they want to have the model enlarged or changed but as soon as I have added filets on the edges of an object I can't modify it easily. Is there a way around this?

This image(s) describe my actual problem. I'd like to make the box wider but I already have a filet which is in the way.

Thanks.

Image Attachments:
1.png  2.png 

13 Mar 2018   [#2]
Make a box a little little more biggest overlaped the existing fillet
Bolean Union with existing
Remake Fillet ;)

More easy than this! But not a very big deal...(read Right to Left)
here the Script! http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5931.1

13 Mar 2018   [#3]
I've made several MoI models for my 3D Printer, and changes are always necessary.

I just keep all my construction lines / curves and rebuild the model. To me it's a lot faster than trying to fix it.

I also duplicate and keep intermediate versions of my work within the same file. For example, I keep a version prior to adding fillets, making holes, etc. That way I can make modifications easily.

Ed Ferguson
13 Mar 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hello Ed.

@You : "...I just keep all my construction lines / curves and rebuild the model. To me it's a lot faster than trying to fix it.
I also duplicate and keep intermediate versions of my work within the same file. For example, I keep a version prior to adding fillets, making holes, etc. That way I can make modifications easily.

I totally agree with this point of view.

It's also my "style".

Thanks.
13 Mar 2018   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Nico, yes I'd also recommend saving a version of your model before applying fillets, so you can go back to the pre-filleted state more easily later on.

- Michael
14 Mar 2018   [#6]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was able to fix my model. Sadly the script didn't work because the subsequent removal of faces broke some other faces (not the fault of the script - probably the geometry of my object). But I was able to delete the round edges and rebuild them with the help of lines and the planar feature. And I remembered to save a backup without filets this time :)
One other thing I learned. Sometimes when I create filets, they look broken because their size conflicts with the adjacent edges. If I go ahead and accept the "broken" filet, then I can still make it work by selecting the model and the broken filet and doing a boolean merge. Then I can delete the additional remains and have my filet.

Image Attachments:
1.png  2.png  3.png 

14 Mar 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Nicolinux!

Thanks for sharing your good idea !

Franz