MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: how to export from 3ds, acad or inventor to MOI3d?

12 Mar 2018   [#1]
Hi.
I've started studying tech design and we're learning the programs mentioned in the topic.
I would like to be able to import projects into MOI3d (wich I am more comfortable with).

Among many others I've tried *.IGS files wich I read MOI3d is supposed to handle, but MOI3d doesnt seem to do anything when I load it. There are no error messages, no hangups, no crashes or heavy loading. Moi3d simply sits there showing an empty screen as if it's loaded the file.

Anyway - I have the programs mentioned so I can shuffle however I like between those to get an appropriate file type. Is it doable?

Image Attachments:
qwe.png 

12 Mar 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Have you tried before format SAT ? (if your start program has it)
12 Mar 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Zim, for 3ds it depends on the particular type of objects you're using. If you're using the typical polygon type objects then those don't export easily into a CAD program like MoI that works with smooth surfaces and solids. But if it's a NURBS object you would want to use any of IGES, STEP, or SAT formats to export it out from 3ds.

For AutoCAD, again with AutoCAD there are many different types of objects that can be in AutoCAD including meshes, 2D drawings, and solids. For solids use SAT format, I think there's an ACISOUT command. For 2D drawings use acis or you can also use DXF format. For polygon data again that's not the type of data MoI works with for modeling so that's not generally transferrable.

For inventor try ACIS or STEP formats.

re: IGES file that doesn't work, can you post a simple small example .igs example file that has that problem? That way I can take a look at it and see what type of data is in it.

- Michael
13 Mar 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thank you very much. Step from inventor worked nicely.
I know I shouldnt but I much rather do the legwork in MOI3d wich im used to.

Image Attachments:
qwe.png