MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Convert Control Points to Points ?

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59

10 Mar 2018   [#19]
Well..., when i copy and paste my Control Points i get on Mac and Windows Points.

When you look again at my picture carefully you see in the right menu points.

BTW. Michael says the same in the Hidden Secrets section!

http://moi3d.com/wiki/Hidden_Secrets

Regards
Stefan
10 Mar 2018   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Ok That works!
So for convert Controls Points in Geometric Points just copy Past in the Clip Board! :)

I don't know what i did before for no successful that!

In fact I copied / Moved the Control Points selected : seems it's not the same than copy to clipboard because curve is always living!
10 Mar 2018   [#21]
Hi Pilou,

we spend now the whole day to solve this problem... :-)

And i thought that my postings, even if i am no native
English speaker, were clear enough compared to the short
explanation in the secret section...

Regards
Stefan
10 Mar 2018   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Maybe but with that we avoid to make a new plugin! :)
And that Copy Move Control Point of a curve (even this curve itself is not selected) is different than Copy to the ClipBoard! :)
10 Mar 2018   [#23] In reply to [#20]
Hi Pilou, yes as Stefan has been saying selecting a curve's control points and then using copy/paste (ctrl+c/ctrl+v) will create point objects at those locations and those will work in the scene browser Types section.

- Michael
10 Mar 2018   [#24]
Yes! :)

Now convert Points to Control Points is the new challenge!
10 Mar 2018   [#25] In reply to [#20]
Hi Pilou,

> In fact I copied / Moved the Control Points selected : seems it's not the same
> than copy to clipboard because curve is always living!

Yes that's correct - using the Transform > Move or Transform > Copy commands with curve control points selected will transform the curve. To duplicate the points you need to use the Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste instead.

- Michael
10 Mar 2018   [#26] In reply to [#24]
> Now convert Points to Control Points is the new challenge!

Use SavePointFile to write the point objects to a text file (use the OSX version even for Windows):
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SavePointFile

Then use ImportPointFile to read in the points, it has an option to make a curve out of them:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ImportPointFile
again use the updated version that works with OSX, the original versions of these only work with MoI v2, the ones updated to use MoI's built in cross platform functions for reading and writing text files will work on MoI v3/v4 on both Mac and Windows.

One thing to note though is that the ordering of the points is significant when making a curve out them.

- Michael
10 Mar 2018   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Super! Bravo!
Seems that was yet existing!
So...:)
10 Mar 2018   [#28] In reply to [#10]
Hi Franz,

re:
> I also have a question about that:
> Is it possible to show (and use) the points with which the curve is
> drawn, but not the controll-points?

Sorry no there isn't currently any way to do that. I want to make that possible in the future though possibly by some more history functions.

- Michael
11 Mar 2018   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hallo Michael!

Thank you for your feedback.
In fact, a subsequent display and editing function of a "curve of points" might be interesting for corrections.
This is often only partially possible with "rebuild", because few points are not sufficient and too many points are tedious for correcting a curve.

Franz
11 Mar 2018   [#30] In reply to [#26]
Hi Michael!

I tried this one, working well, but the getting curve is not the same.
Franz

Image Attachments:
ImportPointsThroughpts.jpg 

11 Mar 2018   [#31]
Hi Franz,

maybe you could try out this, saving your curve as .dfx poly line, re-importing into MoI
and then rebuild with standard refit option. It gives you slightly more controls points,
but not to much IMHO and i think it best represents the original curve.

Regards
Stefan
11 Mar 2018   [#32] In reply to [#31]
Hi Stefan!

Thank you for your feedback. But that is not quite my concern.
It is clear that by increasing the number of points the curve becomes more accurate.
But it would be nice to correct a curve not only at the control points, but also at the points where it was originally drawn.
I think that's a very fundamental question. It would be nice to only have to move these points to correct the curve.

Now I can only see the possibility to draw points for a curve before, then trace the curve after it with the function "through pts".
With a correction after the drawn points you would have to draw the curve again.
To do this, the option contained in the ImportPointFile script to rebuild the curve after the points would be good.
Or is there a function "Build curve by points"?

best regards
Franz

Image Attachments:
CurveThroughPoints.jpg 

11 Mar 2018   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Hi Franz,

> Or is there a function "Build curve by points"?

There is a script which allows you to connect points with lines, but if i remember correctly
it looks then like a poly line. In Shade i have an option to smooth such poly lines, like
one has with subd smoothing. If there is a smoothing script available, i don't know.

Regards
Stefan
11 Mar 2018   [#34]
Hi Franz,

another little tip... because i don't know how import this is for you.
When you draw with ArtForm Pro a through point curve you can later
edit the control points *on* the drawn curve...!!! :-)

Just tested it and wanted to let you know.

Regards
Stefan
11 Mar 2018   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Seems I have seen somewhere that Michael want to add this function in the V 4!
(deal with Points of the Draw Curve through Points)
11 Mar 2018   [#36] In reply to [#34]
Hi Stefan!

Thanks for the tip.
I tried the import from ArtForm, according to your suggestion.
It is interesting to note that there is actually a spline curve here, where 1 point is alternately arranged on the line, the next one as a control point.
The points can be moved, but they do not correspond to the points previously entered when drawing the spline curve.

If I want to make a correction without using the controlpoints, I only have the possibility to create points first, after that you can move the curve to points and in case of a correction I can move the points and create a new curve through points.
The advantage of this would be that the already created snap points of the curve are not changed.

Franz

Image Attachments:
CurveArtForm.jpg 

11 Mar 2018   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Hi Franz,

interesting! i did only worked in ArtForm when editing the curve and did not import back into MoI,
for further editing.

Then it seem you must use your technique until maybe there is an update in V4, regarding
this functionality.

Regards
Stefan
11 Mar 2018   [#38] In reply to [#37]
Hi Stefan!

It's not such a big problem, I'm already curious about what V4 will bring new things.

Best Regards
Franz

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59