MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Removing Trim/holes

Show messages:  1-20  21-25

15 Feb 2018   [#1]
Hi,

I have problem how to remove some holes in mesh and keep the curvature of shape.
I want to remove "power" sign cut in this mesh but keep curvature of it to be perfectly smooth.

I've tried recreating that surface with network and with loft but neither gave me smooth surface so now i'm trying to remove this cutout but with no success :(.
Can someone point me to procedure/tools what to use to fix that.

Thanks

Attachments:
power_remove.3dm

Image Attachments:
power_remove.png 

15 Feb 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Lews3D.

It's pretty simple!

Just copy/paste the 4 semi-circular outer edges and run the trim command.

Here's a litte video tut : http://take.ms/AnfaHh

Here's the 3Dm file : http://take.ms/Ctqc3

Ciao!
15 Feb 2018   [#3]
Arghhh, man you are Genious, I feel like total idiot now, i tried with center line and all kind of stuff and it always went a bit wonky and wobbly in middle and around joints when i used network or even lofting with 2 smaller circles etc. etc... I never thought of creating network on these 4 curves :(.

Thanks a million
15 Feb 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Ok Now when i tried myself (it's easy ;)) i think i've jumped to the conclusion too early. Although it looks same on first view when tumbling in 3D it's definitely not same. Network version is different and less dipping surface. Check the Quad view and compare it, it is not correct sadly.

Image Attachments:
power_remove_difference.png 

15 Feb 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Lewis, if you want to keep 100% exactly the same shape you can untrim it and then retrim it. To untrim you need to use Edit > Separate on it first so it's individual surfaces, then select all edges (either select one edge on each surface and use Ctrl+A to select all edges or use the Scene Browser > Types > Edges click the selection dot area on the right) and hit Delete.

And before doing that select all the edges you'll need for retrimming, use Ctrl+Drag or Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V to duplicate them and then squish them flat in a side view using "Flat snap" (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3378.4), then you'll use those as the cutting objects in Trim.

If you want to construct a new shape, Sweep is good for building a potato chip like curved shape from 2 crossing curves, you can select one as the profile and one as the rail even with the profile in the middle of the rail. That will build a 4 cornered sheet, then Trim with a circle or oval shape 2D curve.

- Michael
15 Feb 2018   [#6]
Hi Michael,

I've tried with re-trimming but as soon as i delete edges on that power button shape i get complete mess of surfaces so even after flatten/re-trim it's nothing usable.
This happens when I delete edges.

As for Sweping, i tried that also but i get visible Seam in middle of one line when i try to export that to polygons (2nd attachment).

Image Attachments:
delete_edges.png  sweep_visible_seam.png 

15 Feb 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Lewis3D.

..I see...

But I've got a trick that worked for me.

Some minutes and I will post a new tutorial.

Stay tuned.
15 Feb 2018   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Check this one.

Video tut : http://take.ms/pgaSX

3DM file : http://take.ms/mlW8T

Ciao!
15 Feb 2018   [#9]
Maybe Just redraw the 2 perpendicular curves by the Known points
Sweep
Trim :)

15 Feb 2018   [#10] In reply to [#6]
Hi Lewis,

> I've tried with re-trimming but as soon as i delete edges on that power button shape i get complete
> mess of surfaces so even after flatten/re-trim it's nothing usable.
> This happens when I delete edges.

Yes, those are just the 5 surfaces that were underneath the faces. Why are they unusable for you? If it's confusing that they are overlapping, then try untrimming and retrimming just one at a time and hide the other ones while you work on each individual one.

> As for Sweping, i tried that also but i get visible Seam in middle of one line when i try to export
> that to polygons (2nd attachment).

It looks like one of the curves you are using for the sweep is not smooth. If either the rail or the profile curve isn't smooth then the sweep will also not be smooth. A quick way to smooth out a curve made of 2 pieces is to turn on control points and delete the middle point. Or also select the center point and the 2 adjacent points and make sure they are all in a straight line, using either flat snap or Transform > Align.

If you still have any problems with the sweep please post the 3DM model file with the curves you're using.

- Michael
15 Feb 2018   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Hi PILOU,

Thanks for trying.

I've tried that several times and i always get visible seams or even holes after i try to export that to polys. Not even join or Boolean union helped to solve that.
Have you tried to check your version for OBJ exporting ?

Image Attachments:
sweep_visible_seam_2.png 

15 Feb 2018   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Guys thanks for all the help, amazing forum :).

Marco, i managed to do it with that new technique you showed and it's clean one export. I guess Curve Rebuild was key part here so that after sweeping tool all is seamless now.

Great, thanks one more time.
15 Feb 2018   [#13] In reply to [#6]
Hi Lewis, I've attached the result of using the untrim/retrim technique as I described above. The surfaces that you get after untrimming are perfectly usable, they just extend over top of each other so it's easier to manage them by only untrimming and retrimming one at a time, that's all.

This version should have the 100% exact same surface shape as your original file since it actually uses the same surfaces.

If you want help with making a new surface using Sweep please post the curves you are using, it looks like they need to be edited to be smooth instead of having a kink in the middle of the curve.

- Michael

Attachments:
lewis_untrimmed.3dm

Message 8827.14 was deleted

15 Feb 2018   [#15] In reply to [#12]
Hi Lewis3D.

You're welcome.

Ciao!
15 Feb 2018   [#16] In reply to [#13]
Thanks Michael, yes your file works fine, as for me not managed to do it by trimming, it is exactly what you say, many surfaces overlap each other so i hardly see/understand which part i'm trimming in that mess, i've tried by hiding all but one and then trim one by one by one but i can't say i got great result 'coz even after i trimmed all with outside circle and deleted outside excess areas i still have many overlapping surfaces with corners bending upwards so i've not known how to weld/merge them into that single flat nice surface you got (my screen-grab showing how surfaces are bending upwards=.

Luckily Marcos's solution worked so i managed to fix it with that technique.

Image Attachments:
surfaces_bending.png 

15 Feb 2018   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Lewis,

re:
> (my screen-grab showing how surfaces are bending upwards=.

Those bending upwards areas are some additional areas that also need to be trimmed off - if you check out the file I posted I also drew in 2 crossing lines here:

Then you trim the surface and remove these areas:

Leaving this part:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
lewis_trim1.jpg  lewis_trim2.jpg  lewis_trim3.jpg 

15 Feb 2018   [#18]
<< and i always get visible seams or even holes after i try to export that to polys. Not even join or Boolean union helped to solve that.
<< Have you tried to check your version for OBJ exporting ?

Yes and Seems not seams! :)
I made a little thickness because render don't love only simple face! :)
Always free real time SimLab Composer Lite (max 1920 * 1080)

16 Feb 2018   [#19]
Aha, i get it now how you did it Michael, you basically made 4 pizza slices and then it worked 'coz bending parts are removed. I forgot tot do that cross section trim so that's why i still had messy results.

PILOU - thanks for render test

cheers and thank you both for extra effort.
16 Feb 2018   [#20] In reply to [#18]
Beatiful!

Tks.

Show messages:  1-20  21-25