MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Combine Surfaces?

8 Feb 2018   [#1]
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I can join the 4 top surface segments into one whole surface on the part below.

I'd like to rebuild or rather combine the yellow highlighted segments and the main larger surface into one surface with no subsurfaces or Iso curves in it. Like a standard unmodified plane. Those smaller 3 surface sections just made a mess when trying to fillet in one shot. Had to explode and fillet manually.

Thx.

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 3.07.46 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 3.11.58 PM.png 

8 Feb 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi mat, is it possible to post the 3DM model file?

Currently MoI only has a method in place to combine co-planar plane surfaces together inside booleans, not just any arbitrary surfaces next to each other. But there are techniques like duplicating your edge curves and removing their segmentation by rebuilding them and then sweeping or using network on those longer single segment curves. That's probably what I would have tested if I was able to load the file over here.

- Michael
8 Feb 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

3dm attached. Just the surface by itself. I could probably project lines...and network surf...but I was hoping for something quicker.

If not in MOI...a Rhino method for this? I'm using Rhino and Moi together.

Thx Michael

Attachments:
Surface test.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 4.16.12 PM.png 

8 Feb 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi mat, well there is a MergeSrf command in Rhino but it can only merge untrimmed surfaces where they touch at edges. Your surfaces are trimmed out pieces of a larger underlying surface. It looks like the underlying surfaces could be merged though so you could try doing an untrim then MergeSrf then retrim.

- Michael
10 Feb 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Michael,

Untrimed the surfaces in Rhino. Selecting Merge...Rhino says select the two surfaces to merge...but it only allows me to select the big main surface. Any idea?

File attached.

Thx

Attachments:
Surface test.3dm

10 Feb 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi mat, in that file there are 2 objects, the big one is a single surface and the fillet like one is a polysurface made up of 2 surfaces joined together.

The Rhino MergeSrf command only works on single surfaces, it won't allow you to select an object made up of multiple surfaces. You would need to use the Explode command on the multiple surface object to break it into individual surfaces before you'll be able to select it for merging.

But also you may need to cut that fillet surface in half because MergeSrf may not handle making a closed surface like that would form. You can use Split with the Isocurve and Shrink=yes options to cut the longer piece so it won't be trying to merge into a closed result.

- Michael
11 Feb 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thanks Michael. I'll give that a try.